Google Earth takes a dive under the ocean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mislav

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Not sure where to post this, mods feel free to move it to the proper place - but it is interesting:

Google Earth takes a dive under the ocean

Web users will be able to "virtually" visit the world's protected underwater landscapes with a new Google Earth tool being launched today.

A new downloadable "layer" will enable users to see video, pictures and articles when they hover over marine protected areas on the world map provided by Google Earth outreach, an initiative launched last year.

The programme allows environmental groups to harness Google's popular mapping tools to illustrate their projects and has so far been used in work with an Amazonian tribal chief to monitor the impact of illegal logging and mining on his 600,000-acre territory.

Content for the new marine reserves site will be uploaded from project partners including the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the UN Foundation, National Geographic and the International Union for the Conservation of Nature. The tool was launched today at the IUCN world conservation congress in Barcelona.

In the UK, the government's conservation agency, Natural England, has contributed information on 43 marine sites around the coast of England that offer protection to species such as the basking shark, as well as seahorses, corals and algae.

One of the sites users can visit virtually is Lundy Island, off the north Devon coast. It is England's only statutory marine reserve where all fishing activities have been banned across a zone of 3.3 km sq, a move that conservationists say has enabled the area the change to recover and thrive.

Dr Helen Phillips, Natural England's chief executive, said she hoped the new layer in Google Earth would bring the marine environment to life and raise awareness of the need to conserve and enhance it.

"There needs to be a change in attitudes towards protecting our oceans. The diversity of marine wildlife around England's coastline is exceptional; we have everything from whales through to microscopic phytoplankton. But we need an enhanced marine protection system to help conserve our undersea environment," she said.

In the UK, a marine bill is set to be introduced in the next session of parliament that will create a network of new marine nature reserves to protect endangered species and habitats along Britain's coastline.

The network of marine conservation zones will have clear goals to ensure that some types of fishing, dredging or other forms of development do not damage protect habitats and species of national importance.

The government has said it wants to see the zones in place by 2012, with varying levels of protection for individual sites.

Source: The Guardian

google "google earth."
I had kown about this app before but forgotten about it. Since this post I have been playing with it and showing it to others. I spent hours the other night planning my next trip (99% to Cozumel) and learning the area. I did an e-trip around the island. Very cool stuff.

Would be nice if they fix a bug in google earth preventing it from working on machines with 4GB of ram or higher. Its been unusable for months.

Enjoy. I just spent my lunch hour in Brazil!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom