Google maps for Dive Sites??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgoodstein

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Does ScubaBoard or anyone else have a system like the buddyfinder for sites to go to, places to dive, and/or shore walk in places?

I've seen sites that list shore dives, but only descriptions no maps. I know in Ft. Lauderdale you can buy a book for $20 with a list of dive sites in the county.. but I'm a bigger fan of online resources.

It would be very nice to have a map with a bunch of flags with brief descriptions and gps locations so that you can " discover" new dive sites. Perhaps we could develop a KMZ (Book mark file) for google earth with all our favorite dive sites?

If there isn't a great option out there, then I may as well get it started. I am going to put together a Google map with everyones favorite dive sites and share it publicly. The info I need to collect is listed below, let me know if I'm leaving something out:

Dive Site Name/nickname:
City, state, country, etc:
Location/GPS:
Entry Type: (Boat, Shore, pier, etc)
Details (I.E. walk straight out from beach and swim 50 yards)
Rating: 1-5
Max Depth:
Dive type: (coral, wreck, ocean, lake, etc (multiple selections can be made)

I can program a form to add, and then let people rate and make comments. Is this something that anyone other than I is interested in? I can probably get a framework up in about 2 days and the code shouldn't be too difficult. The idea initially is to mark entry points and maybe expand that to regions (draw shapes that cover the entire reef, wreck, etc). What do you guys think any interest. It would be free and never require a payment. It would be driven by divers for divers.

I'm very interested in everyones input. I'm not trying to put the book printers out of business, just offer another means to learning about dive sites.

This is cool, keep providing links and I will try and integrate them into my map, like I said the additional features will be reviews by divers, pics, notes ( where to anchor, conditions etc)

Does ScubaBoard or anyone else have a system like the buddyfinder for sites to go to, places to dive, and/or shore walk in places?

I've seen sites that list shore dives, but only descriptions no maps. I know in Ft. Lauderdale you can buy a book for $20 with a list of dive sites in the county.. but I'm a bigger fan of online resources.

It would be very nice to have a map with a bunch of flags with brief descriptions and gps locations so that you can " discover" new dive sites. Perhaps we could develop a KMZ (Book mark file) for google earth with all our favorite dive sites?

Here you go. The mother load...

Welcome

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom