Gopro 2 with Dive Housing at Widest setting and the corner image is not clear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coralgirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,
I have problem with my gopro 2 when in widest setting the corner image is not clear (blur) with a round mark. It looks like fogging but only at the corner, it does not affect the center and it only come out when recording at the widest setting (medium and normal setting does not show this problem). Anyidea what causing it? And how to eliminate this problem.

Sample of the video is available on vimeo.
https://vimeo.com/58773010

Thank you in advance.

Interesting.. I just opened a brand new Hero3 last night and examined it real close... I found a ring of residue around the lens, not sure what it was, but I had to use a microfiber cloth to clean it off... The inside of the housing lens also had smudges / residue..

You should definitely take a look at both under a good light.

They may need to work on their quality control....

That's fog. The dive housing as well as the H3 will start fogging from the corners towards the center, the regular domed lens starts fogging in the center.

I will try the anti-fog insert solution first and see how it goes. Thank you.

That's fog. The dive housing as well as the H3 will start fogging from the corners towards the center, the regular domed lens starts fogging in the center.
How about SRP filter? If it fogs, what is the best solution?

you're talking about two different things. the srp filter snaps onto the outside, so it won't be fogging underwater. I believe toozler is talking about the domed lens (as opposed to flat) that the older hero's had.

How about SRP filter? If it fogs, what is the best solution?

The SRP filter is a wet filter, meaning that it should flood once you get in the water. You might have problems with air bubbles getting stuck on the filter: you will have to remove it, shake it a little and clip it back on (while in the water). Bubbles from other divers under you could also get trapped, it's worth checking every now and then.

With a filter or not, the camera's housing lens (all of them - hero dive housing, hero3, etc.) can fog, that's why there are the antifog strips.

The domed lens I referred to was the housing lens, as reebok pointed out.

Back
Top Bottom