GoPro 3+ Black or Silver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Thinking about upgrading my original GoPro which has servered me well, but due to the flat lense modification (back in the days) it doesn't go to the depths that I now go to (60m). Understood, now I have to buy the old "non plus" case to get 60m :(. Suppose that's a good excuse as any for a new camera!

I'm looking at the difference between the 3+ Black and Silver. Is Black really worth the extra $100 for the 4K capability? By the time 4K screens become affordable there'll probably be a GoPro 6 and it's only 15fps@4K so it's not really that useful in diving applications?

Not a video expert but by the time 1080p becomes "old school", it's probably time for yet another camera?

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

Oh and I'm open to alternatives of the GoPro if they offer better value.

Black has best lowlight performance. 4k is only an option not so useful yet. Superview is good to get even wider angle shoots. If you go to 60 meter I would consider a custom 3.party housing maybe.

-sent from mobile unit

Black+ has protune which the silver+ does not. Protune makes white balance and other video adjustments easier in post processing. This can be very useful to a diver.

Thanks everyone for pointing out the extra features on the Black. Low light performance is definitely worth it.

Avigulf - which housing would you recommend? Was thinking of just getting the 3 (non plus) housing. Going to use a light so no need to have a red filter add on.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4

I bought a GoPro off ebay that was supposed to be a silver but it has protune. Does that mean it really is a black?
No that just makes it a Hero3 Silver not a Hero3+ Silver. For some reason, they took it out of the new model.

No that just makes it a Hero3 Silver not a Hero3+ Silver. For some reason, they took it out of the new model.

The reason is so there is more reason to spend the extra $100 for the black :wink: I wish they had one without the remote for $50 less :)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4

Is there a reason I should invest in the 3+ black over getting a decent deal on the 3 black?

Also have concerns with regard to my eyesight. Have a cheapo underwater camera that was purchased just to see if I'd like to take photos. What I found was that it was so difficult for me to see what was/wasn't in the "viewfinder" or even the right buttons, that I quit bothering with it. My concern is that despite Gopro being superior in every way and then some, the investment will still end up wasted. Any thoughts to offer in this regard?

Thanks in advance.

Is there a reason I should invest in the 3+ black over getting a decent deal on the 3 black?
Ultimately depends on your usage. If you plan to use wifi for framing with an iphone/android, the plus is better because the wifi lag drops significantly. If you plan to use it mainly for timelapse stills, the new lens has greatly reduced chromatic aberrations but you may have to send the camera back to GoPro to get the focus set properly (a known defect).

But if you only plan to use it for video, save the money and go with the black. Not sure about Canada but here in the US there will be some pretty good deals between now and Monday. I picked up a Black yesterday from BestBuy for $250 plus tax.

3+ has better batterylife and Superview.

-sent from mobile unit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom