GoPro Dive Housing - To filter or not to filter - that is the question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not impressed at all with the backscatter rubber band method of attaching a filter to their port, I'd 110% for sure keep it lanyarded to your tray or grip if you use it.

I LOVE my threaded mount 55mm Fantasea underwater red filter, SOLID attachment. can still install/remove underwater. I'll film my giant stride entry with no filter, then pull the red filter out of my BCD pocket and start filming with ambient light with Sola600's on low for a bit of fill lighting.

Even above water, I used the backscatter bands to "attempt" to hold on a polarizing filter I bought from Backscatter, it's falled off a couple times, even without being rough handled, as even tonight on a tripod, during a time lapse shoot, the polarization filter fell off when I wasn't even handling the camera.

Those backscatter bands barely retain/cover 1/16" of the filter glass edge.

If anyone does do the backscatter red filter, for sure tie that puppy down to keep it on board.

Yeah I have a cheap drop in filter - I am just extremely nervous about cracking open the new dive housing to stick it in.........plus, if I want to video Snorkeling - it ruins it for that.......I soooo need something like the oculus lol! If I only had more time!

---------- Post added ----------

What about adding a light? I found a place that rents a Sola 1200 light.....would need to come up with a way to mount it though......that would solve problems wouldn't it?

I shot some of the clips in this video with a red filter and some with a Sola 1200 in one hand and the GoPro in the other. Coz on Vimeo

I would get the light and use it on the first dive and the filter on the second.

Hi Brules! I am in the same position as u. i just bought my gopro with the new dive housing. however im going to dive in 2 days time! And in Singapore, the dive housing has not been released yet, and theres no filters available? So i did a few youtube research, and i suggest looking at this!

[video=youtube_share;UGthOhEMSYs]http://youtu.be/UGthOhEMSYs[/video]

As an FYI, he's also using $1000 software

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom