GoPro Dive Housing w/ Backscatter Magic Pro Filter Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NavyGuyAN

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello I know there has been a little discussion on and about the new "flip-up backscatter magic-pro flip-filter" for the GoPro Dive-housing. So I'd post some before and after pic's for you guys and also what it looks like when it comes in the box. All the photos I took were at Blue Grotto in Williston, FL in 30 feet of water. Enjoy :)

Backscatter Flip Magic Filter for GoPro Dive Housing

DSC07281.jpgDSC07284.jpg
This it what the Filter looks like when it comes in the box. *The filter comes protected but I had already peeled the protective tape of before I took the picture.

DSC07287.jpgDSC07286.jpgDSC07285.jpg
And installed on my GoPro w/ the dive-housing... **I'm in the Navy and made my GoPro handle out of scrap aircraft grade aluminum, Its works pretty good!

GOPR0151.jpgGOPR0150.jpg
Without the filter - And with the Filter

GOPR0145.jpgGOPR0144.jpg

GOPR0154.jpgGOPR0155.jpg

Thanks for posting this very useful.
I see that the backscatter flip filter is red not magenta so the pictures at depth improve but still are pretty greenish and lack blue.
The picture on the surface is actually better without the filter, the one with the filter has got a red hue that is not pleasant
The picture with the group of divers has got a flare on the instructor fin, was anyone using lights or is just the reflection?
You should start using the flip filter only after 9-10 feet as in shallower water all the colours are there (in fact this is why you have a flip filter)

I'm sorry what am I missing here? Seems the magic filter is a considerable improvement over non filter picture quality!

Not in all cases. The picture of the pole yes, the diver at surface has a red hue unnatural better without filter (thats why you have a flip filter at the surface ou are not meant to use it) and the picture at depth there is something going on with the fins and tanks maybe someone was using a light
would be interesting to see if back scatter comes out with a green water version of the filter
The fact that the picture seems better is one thing that looks close to what it really was is another

Back
Top Bottom