GoPro Dives Guanaja 2015 + Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thook

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
VILLA AT DUNBAR ROCK Trip Report

THE VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z8KP-WjVIM

Guanaja:

In July of 1502 Columbus landed on the island and named it Islands of the pines. Today is known as Guanaja, meaning Green Island. It is the third of the bay islands in Honduras. It is second in size with Roatan being the largest and Utila coming from behind. They all sit about thirty miles from the Honduras mainland. The current population is 8,000 the majority living on the south side, with 2,500 of those living on a built up 100 acre key named Bonacca. The Island is 15 miles long and 5 miles wide. Guanaja plays host to the best scenery of all the bay islands if you are into topography that consists of eye catching mountainous terrain that’s difficult to take your eyes off of. Guanaja is a beauty no doubt.
Getting there:
There are several ways to arrive in Guanaja. You can travel to the Honduran mainland by commercial airline, and have your logistics in order to be transported to a marina and then cross by boat. From my understanding it typically is not a smooth ride. Locals in Utila call it the vomit comet if you catch my drift. You can also fly into the mainland and catch a puddle jumper to any of the by islands. You may choose the most convenient method and fly direct to Roatan Island and take a puddle jumper to Guanaja which is what we did via Lanhsa airlines which services the region. Making reservations is easier if you let Dunbar management handle the coordination of your connection. This made the transition seamless. You can have that transfer directly added to your bill. We paid $250 each for a round trip ticket. Be prepared for long lines to go through customs in Roatan. We have been there several times before and it is typically not a bad process, but on our arrival day, three airlines landed virtually simultaneously which set the waiting line out the door of the airport. Once connected you will take a twenty minute journey to arrive on a small air strip that lays horizontally to the cut in the island. There is no wasting time here as your luggage is loaded from the plane to a boat for a 10 minute transfer to the Rock.
Upon your arrival all your gear is taken to your room, to include your dive gear, and you will be given a tour of the facility. Later before dinner you are given a facility and activities briefing and then its dinner. The next morning you are asked to stow your dive bags outside your door. You never have to touch your gear after that. Staff will take it directly to the boat and have you set up for the first dive.

Facility: The Villas’ construction in 1996. Two years later there were four rooms. Now it has grown to eight rooms with another two being near completion at the time of this report. The Villa’s construction is an impressive architectural marvel. Materials include deep set concrete pylons, rebar and concrete poured block with another layer of concrete on the outer surface. It is nothing short of a fortress. The amities are modern and well maintained, and most importantly kept clean. We stayed in room five and it was a quite spacious 20x15 room with two double beds. Mattresses were a bit hard but, we had no trouble sleeping. It had a full closet with a vault, a double headed walk in shower with tile and granite counter tops. The rooms are air conditioned and also two ceiling fans for guaranteed comfort. We had our own little private balcony with a fantastic view if the island. The rooms are cleaned every day and turned down every evening. They change your towels daily and linens several times during the week and they will even do your laundry during your stay. How’s that for service?
The Villa does have internet access, but from our room we could not connect. However, there is good service in the lounge, just don’t expect high speed. The internet is also on Island time. There is a vast plethora of steps winding throughout the resort which in and of itself can give you a work out. If diving and steps is not good enough for your there is a workout room with the best view imaginable. If you don’t do steps well, there is a ramp that winds its’ way to the main floor. Off the main dining room is a well- stocked bar and an infinity pool. We ate breakfast outside every morning.

Dive ops
They have been doing dive operations since its opening. However, because diving this Island has been relatively un-known, even to this date, there has been very little diver impact on the reefs and it is quite evident here as these waters host a very healthy variety of assorted corals. Giant barrels and tubes, some of the largest sponges I’ve ever seen, huge brain coral and sea fans to boot! It’s never ending. What is missing here is the large variety of marine life. There is however, plenty of opportunity for macro and abundant varieties of smaller species. That doesn’t negate the large lobster, king crabs, sting rays, and eagle rays. There are 40 marked dive sites around the Island. They are currently in progress of having 70 marked sights and judging from the diversity of the reef they could easily end up with more. If education is on your mind they have a highly qualified staff of PADI instructors to provide all levels of certification and they are also associated with Scuba Schools International (SSI). The boats leave at 8:30am. On a typical day you will journey out for 2 dives, come back for lunch, and go out again at 2 or 2:30. This is unless you go to the north side which is where some of the best sites are located. It is a 40 minute journey through the island cut to get there. Some days are planned for the north side, especially if the south winds causes us to seek smoother water. When you do go the north side you stay there for all three dives. For lunch, you will go into the beach at Georges Rock, and Columbus Beach, where Christopher himself landed in 1502. Here, a boat from the villa will bring staff and food for you to dine in style. Just plan ahead for this as on these beaches the sand flies are also hungry. Speaking of that there are no sand fleas on the Rock just so you know.

Our trip began on the 12 of December. This is rainy season and we knew it was a crap shoot for decent weather. It rained upon arrival, as we had to duck under a dock in Bonacca for a few minutes to let it pass, and it rained on the last day. Other than that, it was 72 degrees with 75% humidity with full sun the rest of our stay. The average water temperature was 79 degrees and at some areas thermoclines were evident and even viewable under water. A few days we had 15 to 20 knot sustained winds which pushed us to the North side for diving. Overall, dive conditions were nowhere near optimal. Typical visibility is between 50 and 100 feet. We were told it had rained for two weeks before we arrived, that apparently coupled with non- favorable winds pushed the visibility severely down. Most dives we may have had 20’ visibility. A few dives may have reached 40’. The sea was typically on this trip and at some times the water looked like it was snowing. This and with a few equipment issues made it difficult to capture the quality of video we wanted to, but regardless of all that, we were diving, and we were happy. I will attest to the fact that this reef is extremely healthy and we can’t wait to get back under better conditions. All week we dove with the manager and lead DM Dennis, and also Reynel, who are extremely competent and knowledgeable in their jobs. I can’t speak of the demographic of divers when there is a large crowd at the Rock, as my wife and I were the only divers at the resort. One other couple was with us who were avid snorkelers and they were very well pleased with their activities during the week as the Villa does a fantastic job to cater to both. I can’t attest to the quality of dive boats. They have two 42’x11 modern dive boats to provide comfortable valet style diving. Although I have seen them in photos they were not available during our stay as they were undergoing maintenance to prepare for the year ahead. We had the pleasure of an old fashioned dive boat where the captain had to hot wire the engine to start it, every entry was roll back, and a good old fashioned hand built wooden ladder to climb back in. I can tell you however, this is not the norm. They have a certified and routinely inspected cascade system on site and 80 tanks with your choice of air or Nitrox. There is a cruise ship called the C Angel that accommodates 10 for sleeping that they call a live-aboard, but it is not presently equipped for divers. However, planning is in progress to change this. As a guest at the Villa you will get to have a short sightseeing cruise on the C Angel on your last day.

Food:
The dining room seats 22. Breakfast is served from 7:30 to 8:15. Lunch- 12:30 to 1:15, and dinner 6:15-7:15. Most of the food is local fair, such as grouper, shrimp, and lionfish just to name a few. As an example we came back from several dives with a stack of lobster that we had for dinner that night! It just doesn’t get any better than that! You just have to be there during lobster season which is July through February. Long story short, the Chef is talented at what he does. There wasn’t a single meal that didn’t taste good and most importantly you will not spend any time being hungry at the Villa.

Staff:
For lack of better words the staff here is amazing. They cater to your every need with a happy grin. Every one of them has a great personality they make it their pleasure to serve you. In short you are spoiled….. Rotten. You come here meeting strangers and leave with a new group of friends. They go out of their way to ensure you are comfortable and happy. In my opinion they provided 5 star service.

I highly recommend travel to this unique setting and experiencing for yourself the relatively untouched, unspoiled, and pristine reefs that surround this beautiful island. You may reach the villa at reservations@dunbarrock.com and they will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Their website is www.dunbarrock.com. Go! You won’t be disappointed!

Nice report. I first heard of Guanaja, over 20 years ago! At the time, I believed that it would be somewhere I would visit very soon. I then learned, that despite it's incredible beauty, it was far off the beaten path. To date, I've still not been. Thank you for reminding me of my old romantic notions of stunning beauty and simple yet very good diving.

Great trip report! We've neem thinking about a week in to Guanaja as an add on to Roatan this summer. This is helpful :)

Better link to the video: [video=youtube;8Z8KP-WjVIM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z8KP-WjVIM[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom