GoPro "Goodman" Handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravisD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings, ScubaBoard!

I just fabbed this up and was satisfied enough to put it out here for comments :)

For our upcoming trip Down Under, we decided that GoPro cams were the way to go. Lightweight, does Video (in HD) and Still, and didn't break the bank. The downside to the GoPro's (besides some underwater focus issues, to be addressed separately) is that they don't come with any mount that's really suitable for diving. I felt that something along the lines of the traditional "goodman" handle would make sense, so I fabbed this up. The main U-shaped body, and round handle are both Aluminum (from Home Depot), and a piece of Stainless Steel 316 All-thread ties it together. (Harder to find this, in this area... had to order it from the local Fastenal store)

The GoPro attaches using the GoPro Tripod adaptor and a 1/4-20 allen screw (round head = easier on the hands). I'm still tracking down some additional stainless steel hardware, so for now the nuts on the end are simply galvanized (holy galvanic action, Batman!). I'm willing to risk some dissimilar metal action since it's not going to see continuous submersion, and will be rinsed after diving.

It's sized for the colder-water gloves that we use around these parts. There's some adjustability build in with various holes that the handle can be attached to to make the hand group wider or narrower. I'm debating adding some foam of some sort to give it a little bouyancy, and perhaps a little better "fit". Perhaps foam pipe insulation...

This is One of Two that I need to make. The next one gets documented better now that I have some clue what I'm doing. Feedback is welcome! Now on to the pics!

--travis

You can order SS nuts (and bolts or threaded rod) in lots of sizes from McMaster Carr
McMaster-Carr
UPS ground arrives next day in most areas since they have warehouses all over.
-Colin

Thanks Colin - I always forget about McMC for some reason! Surprisingly the Depot has something of a selection of SS hardware - enough to get me started. If this works under actual use, I might have to order in stuff for the MkII version...

This is awesome... thanks for sharing I may end up stealing this idea I am planning on buying one of the gopros today :)

I don't want to sound negative, but, I think you will find it difficult to hold the camera steady. I found that a "pistol grip" works really well. You can get them at most lds for lights (around $7.00) and just epoxy one of the GoPro bases to the top of the grip. Aloha, Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom