GoPro Hero2 Dive housing vs. Regular housing with flat lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I already have a regular hero 2 housing that I replaced with flat lens. I used a Pursuit red filter with it. The color results were good, but I still got a non filtered circle around the filter. So either the filter moved inside the housing or it was too small. I did use the correct hero2 settings for te flat lens.

My question is:Beside the GoPro dive housing already coming with flat lens, and a setup that is easier to apply a red filter externally, is there any other benefit of the dive housing? Does it seal better? Also, will it work with the LCD backpack and it's corresponding half housing? Is there any disadvantage?

Thanks

Beside the GoPro dive housing already coming with flat lens, and a setup that is easier to apply a red filter externally, is there any other benefit of the dive housing? Does it seal better? Also, will it work with the LCD backpack and it's corresponding half housing? Is there any disadvantage?

The GoPro Dive housing isn't neccessarily easier to apply a filter to - you have a few options like the SRP dome, Backscatter flip up, polarpro etc. The Backscatter and Blurfix housings with the round flat lens take threaded 55mm filters so you can put any filter you want on it. Which one is easiest depends on the user I guess.

All the housings are the same shell so they take all the various backpacs and all seal exactly the same. Some of the frames on the fixed filters (like the flip up one) apparently interfere with the latch.

When its all said and done I'm glad I ended up with a Backscatter housing with the 55mm threaded mount.

So it seems that the main advantage over having regular housing with flat lens, is the ability of shooting wide without vignetting. Right?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom