GoPro Macro Video with a Macromate Mini and 10+ on the flip system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick_C

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently put together a new tray, video light and hero 3+ silver. For macro I'm using the flip 3.1 system with the macromate mini on one flip and 10+ macro on the other. I've been playing wth my new toy at the Redondo Submarine Canyon in Southern California. Here's my first video that I wanted to share.
https://youtu.be/kTUga3HePV4

Last edited:
Nice!

I particularly like the music + the ambient/scuba sound. It always sounds weird when people simply blow-out the natural sounds with music.

Really nice.
If you have posted the answer before, just point me to it. But, what setting on the GoPro (besides the Macro) and what lights and Lumens are you using? How many lights and what beam angle?

Whenever, I do night dive I'm always blowing out the exposure. I just assumed the GoPro wasn't good enough to compensate, but your video obviously shoots that theory down.

Thanks much

Really nice.
If you have posted the answer before, just point me to it. But, what setting on the GoPro (besides the Macro) and what lights and Lumens are you using? How many lights and what beam angle?

Whenever, I do night dive I'm always blowing out the exposure. I just assumed the GoPro wasn't good enough to compensate, but your video obviously shoots that theory down.

Thanks much

Thank you for commenting and your questions. I used a GoPro Hero 3+ silver at 1080 & 30fps. Some was shot on medium, some on narrow. For my light I used a single Orca Torch D810V from Leisurepro. The light is rated at 950 lumens and 120 degrees. If I get motivated I may do a detailed video review of the Orca Torch as well as the backscatter system. What GoPro are you using? I've noticed a dramatic difference in the exposure algorithm between the Hero2 and Hero3/3+ (I haven't tried the Hero4). The Hero2 likes to overexpose or blow out the highlights in an effort to properly expose the rest of the frame while the hero3/3+ tends to properly expose the highlights while possibly underexposing the rest of the image. (exactly the way I want it for underwater video). You also need to make sure you are using a wide light with no hot spot (there is no hot spot on the orcatorch) If you are using a hero3/3+ with a video light (no hot spot) and having blow out problems I'm not sure what to suggest. You could try setting spot metering to yes. (I left mine set to the default, which is no or off)

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best,
Rick

Thanks for the hints. I've got a Hero3+ and a BigBlue VTL 2800. It has a wide 120 angle and three levels. I think I just need to practice with it more.

Spectacular!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom