GoPro Pro-tune firmware released

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty Cerven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Protune firmware update for the Hero2 has been released :D also the Apple WiFi app is out but that is of no use for underwater use.

Protune™ is a new HD HERO2 video mode that unlocks the camera’s full potential, yielding stunning image quality and cinema-caliber video for professional productions. Content creators now have far more flexibility and workflow efficiency than ever before.

DOWNLOADUPDATE

PROTUNE™ KEY BENEFITS INCLUDE:
High Quality Image Capture
Protunes’s 35Mbps data rate provides less compressed cinema quality image giving content creators more flexibility in post production.
Neutral Color
Protunes neutral color profile offers more flexibility during post production color correction. Protunes log curve captures more detail in shadows and highlight.
Film/TV Frame Rate Standard
Now record video in 24FPS and easily intercut GoPro content with other source media without needing to perform FPS conversion.

PROTUNE RESOLUTIONS:
Protune is available in the following HD HERO2 resolutions:
RESOLUTIONFPS
1080p30, 25, 24
960p48
720p60, 50
COMPATIBILITY:
Compatible with professional color correction tools, editing programs, and GoPro CineForm Studio.

Product Updates Support

There may be some issues with slower or non premium branded SD cards and Id recommend a Sandisk c10 or better card to avoid stability issues.

Protune firmware update for the Hero2 has been released :D also the Apple WiFi app is out but that is of no use for underwater use.

Product Updates Support

There may be some issues with slower or non premium branded SD cards and Id recommend a Sandisk c10 or better card to avoid stability issues.

For 35 Mbps a class 6 is sufficient in terms of bit-rate. I second the suggestion of getting a high quality memory card though to avoid write errors...!

A good quality c6 should be fine in terms of actual speed for the video recording but I did have some issues with an earlier test version of this firmware stability wise, those with c6 lower end cards that may be borderline speed wise could come across some issues.

35Mbps is only 4.375 MB/s but not all lower end cards are exactly 100% to spec and may drop below that rate at times and there are lots of dodgy SD cards around these days being sold online. As the HD2 still needs a c10 card for its .5s timelapse mode its the best way to go so you can use all modes with no issues but beyond that spec all your going to benefit from is faster transfer speeds or if you also use the card in another camera that will benefit from it.

memory cards are dirt cheap, yes class 10, 32 gig, I got 2 of them for ~$75 from a large east coast mail-order camera company, so a buck a gig..............that's cheap!

It'll be interesting to see how well the pro-tunes works out in the long and short term.

Cheap memory card usually fail with a write error in the first year. I have tried a whole bunch and ended up with the expensive ones that at least you get replaced once failed. The cheap one despite being life warranty don't even reply to you when you complain

I got lucky last week where a search led me to a Sandisk 32G Ultra card for $29.99 (reg. $69.99) from Bestbuy.com. Thankfully I had a US address available or else it was no-go to Canada.

Figures now bestbuy.ca has them on sale! *sighs*

How does it work in the camera and how does it benefit UW video?

Hey Marty I usually use 720P/60, will (or should) this update change what I shoot in? Please excuse my ignorance, I am not a videographer I just have fun making videos of my dives mainly for me to remember.

Hey Marty I usually use 720P/60, will (or should) this update change what I shoot in? Please excuse my ignorance, I am not a videographer I just have fun making videos of my dives mainly for me to remember.

With this latest firmware you have an option for Protune on or off, with it is enabled you get the flat colour profile and 35Mbps recording rate. The higher data rate will help out mostly with videos that have motion in them and the flat image takes away all the in camera processing so jf you want to grade it in post you dont have to fight the auto settings first but start with clean raw type footage.

Protune mode can be used in 1080p30, 25p and 24p in wide or medium fov. Also 960p48 and 720p60 mode. If you want the regular video recording you can set protune to off in the menu and it will have all the regular modes as before in the regular 15Mbps processed video files.

The stability issues I had look to be camera related and one of my hd2's is playing up for some reason, and will need to be sent back. No reports of anyone else having the same issue so mine is just a one off and unrelated.

Regarding SD cards with sandisk getting down to affordable levels not much more then the others they are the safest choice with lifetime warranties. C6 or better needed for the video modes and c10 for the fastest timelapse mode. Buy only from trusted sources as there are plenty of fakes being sold online too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom