GoPro uncut full dive at Fishrock headcam view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty Cerven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here is something a little different, its a full dive from boat entry all the way back to the boat. Its at fishrock filmed in 720p60 using headband mount its 42min long as its completely uncut and really does show a divers POV throughout a dive. There is no music or any cuts its just a single continuous shot of the full dive.

It contains a few grey nurse sharks, wobbegong sharks and a big loggerhead turtle (which ive used in its own video earlier) The visibility was fairly poor with strong surge and currents but its videos like this why I love my GoPro. It can capture the full experience and you can then show non divers what its really like down there.

[vimeo]23553871[/vimeo]

hey marty.. do u wear a hood with the headband inside? or u use a chinstrap?

I did use the hood early on with my gopro but I don't like wearing a hood much while diving as it feels restrictive, I only wear one if its very cold these days under 18c water temp. Since I thought of using a chin strap its been my preferred way of mounting the gopro if I want to put it on my head.

kool... that is one of the ways i planing to use when i go diving next month! thanks!

If you are using a headstrap how do you make sure you get the camera in the same place each time? Was it a trial and error process to get the camera to point where you are looking?

Does the camera sit on you forehead just above your mask? If so and you are wearing a hood with the strap under it, aren't there some issues with routing the stap out from under the hood and then over the mask?

I am looking seriously at the Gopro and the Liquid image mask. Pro's and con's to both but if I found a good way to mount the Gopro that is probably the way I would go.

The angle was trial and error at first but its fairly easy to set it, I found the easiest is to put the camera on stand up and hold your arms out parallel to the ground. You want your hands to be in the middle of the frame when you do this and can be easily done at home as a test. You can also try lying down on the end of a bed with your hands stretched out and look to for your arms in the middle of the frame.

I have a couple of set angles I worked out at home and use a protractor before the dive to check the angle is OK. If i go just for a normal dive I use the angle I described but for dives when you will be looking more at the ground then its best to aim down lower so it gets your hands when they are on the ground.

As an example here is my scallop video which actually took a few dives before I got my hands in the frame and found the best angle. In previous attempts the angle was too high and I never could see me grab the scallops and the video was useless.

Its easy enough though for a buddy to check if you tell them where you want it pointing and I mostly use r3 720p60 mode so the 170 FOV does give you a fair margin of error by being so wide. Only the eyeofmine housing does 720p with no vignette though from the commercially available flat fixes for the gopro atm.

Camera placement is easier in a photo then explaining it. I use the modified chin strap even though I put it back further then my chin where I don't even notice it, using the extension mounts can get the camera out ahead of your mask so bubbles are no longer an issue makes you look even sillier though :dork2:, I haven't filmed many good sites this way though so most of my videos have the bubbles in them still.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom