+GoPro11 housing; OEM or aftermarket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuintessentialMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just pulled the trigger on the Hero11 Black and was surprised to find multiple options for housings. (My personal view on "waterproof to 30ft" means it's splash proof.) Over the years I've seen aftermarket accessories that far exceeded the OEMs dreams and others that were not worth the box it came in. Amaxon has some aftermarket housing packages that have filters and other features that look really tempting. Remembering my single days, "really tempting" was often just cheese in the trap.

I have taken them to a bit beyond 30ft without a case, issue for me is buttons lock seemingly much sooner. I had an aftermarket for my gp9 that worked great but the gopro housing is built in my opinion much better.

A friend had one of the Italian Isotta housings, for the GoPro 9 or 10 and we took it down to around 50 meters last year (it was rated for about 200 meters).

All of the controls were smooth and effortless at depth, even with gloves -- it should be, I suppose, milled from a block of aluminum, for about 500.00 . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 9.13.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 9.13.15 AM.png
    314.1 KB · Views: 57
I have a GoPro housing for the Hero2, still works
Got an aftermarket housing for the Hero3. Looked like the GoPro version. Camera died a salt water death.
Got a Golem Gear housing for the Hero4. Still rocking that one.
Got a Hero10 the other year. Picked up a Gopro housing. Then started hearing of the overheating issues. I see there are some aluminum housings out there. Thinking about one of those for the thermal cooling they offer over the plastic. Have not pulled the trigger yet.

I forgot to mention, the reason I got the HERO11 is because a Walymart housing flooded my GoPro3; first dive, found the lens port laying on the ground at my gear. The irony is that my old housing had a damaged clasp and I was worried about failure under water. It's only been 8 months so should probably hear back from them any time now about warranty. <sarcasm emogy>

I read somewhere that maybe the 9, 10, and 11 were built on the same chassis so accessories like the housing, etc. were interchangeable. Can anyone verify that?

I read somewhere that maybe the 9, 10, and 11 were built on the same chassis so accessories like the housing, etc. were interchangeable. Can anyone verify that?
Yes, the Isotta housing that I had mentioned in an earlier posting, accommodates the 9, 10, and 11 -- others must as well . . .

How deep are you hoping to go? The Isotta housings are really nice, but the because the 11 is waterproof to 33ft, housing performance might not matter...as much. I was with a guy when he came up from 275+ft with the standard housing on an 11. There was a little water in the housing, but the camera wasn’t damaged because it is water resistant to 33ft. YMMV, but the standard housing works pretty well until it doesn’t.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom