+GoPro11 housing; OEM or aftermarket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The GoPro Housing is waterproof to 196 feet (60m) and it can probably go deeper. My experience with the GoPro Housing has been hit or miss. I have never had one leak, but I have had issues with the buttons working at depth. I returned 2 where the buttons would not work deeper than 100 feet. I have a housing now that has been used to 170 feet with no issues.

Well, I pulled the trigger on the OEM housing. We'll see how it goes. That aluminium case looks nice but with arating of 250meters it would cost me a whole lot more in gear to fully utilize it.

quick update on the Telesin. I have done close to 12 dives over 5 days with the Telesin & GoPro 11. I have constantly opened and closed the housing. and it worked pretty damn well.

I use the GoPro housing and its worked for several years now, flawlessly down to 165'.

Gopro housing is a much better bet ! After market housing is quite risky : you are lucky... or not. I had many Gopro and all the problems I had were with after market housing (or no housing with the latest Gopro)

Gopro housing is a much better bet ! After market housing is quite risky : you are lucky... or not. I had many Gopro and all the problems I had were with after market housing (or no housing with the latest Gopro)
Yes and no. The GoPro looking aftermarket housings, yes those are not good. I lost my Hero3 to one. Looked just like the GoPro housing, but leaked. Will never use a clone housing for anything I put in the water.

But the high end housings, there own design and not a copy of the GoPro housing. Those are not known for having issues. I trust those as much or more than a real GoPro housing.

I can say the same for the wrist mount. Got a cheap one, it separated. Got a real GoPro one, rock solid.

Just pulled the trigger on the Hero11 Black and was surprised to find multiple options for housings. (My personal view on "waterproof to 30ft" means it's splash proof.) Over the years I've seen aftermarket accessories that far exceeded the OEMs dreams and others that were not worth the box it came in. Amaxon has some aftermarket housing packages that have filters and other features that look really tempting. Remembering my single days, "really tempting" was often just cheese in the trap.

I went with the iQsub/Golem Gear/SubGravity housing. Love it!! super super solid built quality its about 3 times ticker than the GoPro brand housing. It is basically bomb proof. I have had it down to 170m and no issues, all buttons still work no issue with the springs maxing out and the buttons sticking.

1675896256829.png

Back
Top Bottom