Got a dive trip recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydroknot

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi:

We have the period of 16-24 Aug for a dive trip. My wife is a novice open-water diver and our 13 y/o daughter will only have completed the PADI written exam and pool-sessions before we depart. She will need to complete the open water training wherever we decide to go.

I'm looking for a recreational dive experience similar to what one finds in Cozumel or the Virgin Islands. Some place where the dives are easy and the water is warm with good viz. Reefs and associated marine life would be just fine, but a shallow wreck would be very cool, too.

We live near Washington, DC, so that gives us three nearby airports for departure ... Baltimore (BWI), Washington Dulles (IAD) and Washington National (DCA).

We have 6 days for the trip ... 4 days of diving with a travel day on each end. Cost is important. We would be happy with modest accommodations and 3-star dining. The dive experience is most important.

Any recommendations out there?

Thanks,

David

If you have more time you may consider Tulamben in Bali - USAT liberty probably the easiest wreck diving in the world. Lay only 30 m from the beach; shore diving. Abundant fish, very rich marine life, easy diving, almost no current.
My daughter got her jr. OW in Tulamben when she was 11. She saw small black tip on her first diving there - and 1.2 m great barracuda on second dive.
Accomodation and diving is not expensive; avalable from $20 to 150; day diving $25 - 30 per dive - but to go there is not cheap.

Well, it's funny that you mention the Virgin Islands, because that's what I was going to suggest. It's close enough to you that one day of travel is enough. The corals are in good shape, and the variety of coral and sponges and color I found delightful. There are reef dives and wreck dives, and above water, the area is beautiful. We spent a week on a crewed sailboat charter with diving, and I'd go back.

Bonaire all the way. Pristine reefs. Easy diving. Tons of places to stay in a variety of price ranges. Good food on the island. Great dive ops. A few wrecks shallow or deep. This island is all about diving. The most difficult part is getting there. Farther away than some other islands so it takes longer and if a flight is delayed or missed could be a problem if you only have 6 days.

Have you looked into the Florida Keys?
Granted the viz may not be as good as Coz or USVI, but it is closer & will likely be cheaper and you may get more diving in and a LOT less time travelling and waiting in airports. Plenty of reefs & wildlife to enjoy.
4 days in Bonaire would be fantastic too. Diving can't get much easier than Bonaire, but the logistics of getting there are more problematic.

We have 6 days for the trip ... 4 days of diving with a travel day on each end. Cost is important. We would be happy with modest accommodations and 3-star dining. The dive experience is most important.

This does not add up.

Travel day
Three days diving
Non-Fly "off gas" day
Travel day

Equals six days.

You should do the Keys since its only three diving days!

Reply to Frank Delargy ...

The Keys sound like a good idea. I've never dived the Keys. Lived in FL from '68-'84, but always went to the Caribbean. Got a recommendation for lodging that has an affiliated dive shop? This trip would be my daughter's intro to diving so a well run operation is important.

How do people get to the Keys. Fly to MIA or FLL and then rent a car?

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited:
Reply to Frank Delargy ...

Got a recommendation for lodging that has an affiliated dive shop? This trip would be my daughter's intro to diving so a well run operation is important.
How do people get to the Keys. Fly to MIA or FLL and then rent a car?
Thanks,
Dave
Hi Dave,
That's what I do.. fly from Boston to FLL, (usually cheaper), rent a car and shoot down to Key Largo. There are a lot of really good dive operations that have been recommended here. I used Silent World Dive with Silent World voted #1 dive shop in Florida and thought they were a professional outfit, but you will find plenty of folks here with other recommendations as well. And on that last preflight no-dive day.. (18 hours minimum between last dive and flight) do the Everglades or Key West.
As far as lodging goes.. just go over to the Florida group here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/ and ask away. Those lucky SBs (scubaboarders) that live in the Keys get to dive every day and some of them have great recommendation for places to stay. Some even rent out their condos.

Have you looked into the Florida Keys?
Granted the viz may not be as good as Coz or USVI, but it is closer & will likely be cheaper and you may get more diving in and a LOT less time travelling and waiting in airports. Plenty of reefs & wildlife to enjoy.

I'm 98% settled on Rainbow Reef in Islamorada. There are so many choices. I was going nuts trying to pick a place. Got an opinion on the lodging and dive operation at Rainbow Reef in Islamorada?

Back
Top Bottom