Got a good deal, and tried my hand at stripping...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they need hydro, find a tester that does industrial bottles and have them sandblast them while they test. That is what I do with my painted cylinders.
We have a blaster at work, but it's full of lava rock, and I think that would be a bit to abrasive for AL tanks.

If they need hydro, find a tester that does industrial bottles and have them sandblast them while they test. That is what I do with my painted cylinders.

What would be the best to use? We have a commercial blaster at work, but I think it's full of black onix stuff?

When the guys refinish larger propane tanks they use this stuff... I would imagine it would be fine for steel tanks, not sure about aluminum though?

What would be the best to use? We have a commercial blaster at work, but I think it's full of black onix stuff?

When the guys refinish larger propane tanks they use this stuff... I would imagine it would be fine for steel tanks, not sure about aluminum though?
I don't know what they use. It is the same stuff they use on my steel bank bottles and scuba cylinder. They come back looking like brand new and costs next to nothing.

I don't know what they use. It is the same stuff they use on my steel bank bottles and scuba cylinder. They come back looking like brand new and costs next to nothing.

I looked, the stuff we use is coal slag... I'll have to see what happens on an old condemned aluminum tank

So, Luxfer uses an epoxy based paint, and the Citristrip won't do anything to it. After an hour and a half, not a single bubble on the paint

Obvious the Luxfer cylinders are more bashful ...

This is the best option.

You can also use a methylene chloride based stripper like zip strip (if you can find it). But the tanks need to be warm and you can't use that nasty toxic stuff inside so you'd need to wait until spring. It will sort of work on that epoxy but it's still slow and gross.

This is the best option.

You can also use a methylene chloride based stripper like zip strip (if you can find it). But the tanks need to be warm and you can't use that nasty toxic stuff inside so you'd need to wait until spring. It will sort of work on that epoxy but it's still slow and gross.
Any idea what coal slag would do?

I'll get a picture of the bag tomorrow.

If its black magic sand it should be fine, it might inbed, black a bit, but just wipe it down,, I personally use silica sand, I know it's not ministry of labor specs, but it's cheap and works well, just where a mask,

Any idea what coal slag would do?

I'll get a picture of the bag tomorrow.
You're not allowed to remove ANY metal. Coal slag is too hard and will embed into the aluminum.

Paint is normally removed with something like soda or walnut shell both of which are about 1/3rd softer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom