Got my M1 color kit for my Atomic B1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

52brandon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
In my effort to turn the Atomic B1 I purchased off eBay into my ideal reg, I got my M1 color kit delivered today. I just happened to stumble across an "open box" yellow M1 color kit on Scuba.com for $18. It was like $26 after their regular shipping. I ordered it early Friday morning with regular shipping, expecting it in the middle of next week. I was pleasantly surprised to see it in my mailbox when I got home from work today. Even more so when I opened the box to find the only thing not still sealed in plastic was just the knob. Which was still in perfect shape. So I give Scuba.com a big A+ in terms of the condition of the item, it's price and the quick shipping time getting it to me overnight. Many "overnight" shipments take a couple days due to processing as it is. So anyways, being the patient guy I am, I slapped it on already and WOW! what a difference. The exhaust tee is much wider which should do well to keep the bubbles outside my field of vision. The purge cover with the vents on the side is great, so I don't have to worry about a current leading to a free-flow. It was extremely easy to replace on the reg. Now my 2nd stage has the upgrades I wanted to add, and looks like new now. I'm sure they have a reason, but I don't understand why Atomic wouldn't just use the M1 tee and cover on all their regs, as it seems to have more benefit with no negatives. But without further delay:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/imalynmvmc84l9j/B1toM1.jpg
(for some reason, I couldn't upload it or even insert from link)

amazing what a difference $26 can make. Next up Jet seat piston for the 1st stage

Regarding the exhaust T - it is all about cost / benefit. The wider T weighs and costs slightly more with only a slightly improved deflection. Plus there is a marketing aspect as well. As for the purge and current induced free flow. I have had their other purge covers in some pretty descent flows without issues. As such, I would not get too hung up on the functional aspects. That said their color kits are great for upgrading older 1 series regulators. Now go get it wet.

PS if you need a jet seat piston let me know.

If you have a B2/Z2/ST1 ... any newer Atomic 2nd, them moving to M1 exhaust probably makes very little difference. For B1/Z1/Ti2, the original exhaust T is show small, moving to M1 probably make a noticeably difference.

As for current induced free flow, I kind have that issue from time to time. I keep thinking if I should try a M1 face cover, but it doesn't bother me enough to spend the money yet

If you have a B2/Z2/ST1 ... any newer Atomic 2nd, them moving to M1 exhaust probably makes very little difference. For B1/Z1/Ti2, the original exhaust T is show small, moving to M1 probably make a noticeably difference.

As for current induced free flow, I kind have that issue from time to time. I keep thinking if I should try a M1 face cover, but it doesn't bother me enough to spend the money yet

I just picked up a Ti2 with a B2 1st stage that I am going to use on my Pony bottle. I have an extra Z3 Kit, in my parts box (daughter picked up a yellow kit).

It sounds like slapping the Z3 kit on the Ti2 would be a good thing, am I correct?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom