Got my wife underwater for the first time!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you'll notice I started her out right...long hose, bp/w :D
NO NO NO --you have it all wrong. Get her in a big old poodle jacket as soon as possible. That way she will immediately apreciate how much easier to use the BP/W is.
This give you licence to immediately upgrade your gear. (You do of course realise that dive gear requires intensive breaking in before its properly useable and comfortable don't you dear?" I wouldn't want you to be uncomfortable as you are learning to dive.)

BOY OHH BOY do I hope Mrs Kaz doesn't read this post :D

---------- Post Merged at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:21 AM ----------

Wish I could get my ex wife to dive.....preferably without the gear.
ANOTHER one that has it all wrong. Teaching her to dive WITH the weight belt is essential -20kg of lead should about do it :D

Congratulations! I agree that she looks a little dubious in the first picture -- should have taken a photo of the post-dive grin!

Hard to say.... It's really hard to have a normal expression with a mask skirt plastered above your lip. It's hard to deny her a little anxiousness.

Wish I could get my ex wife to dive.....preferably without the gear.

hahah... why would you even think about that when she's already a past! LOL!

My wife had barely done her open water certification before we met (nearly 6 yrs ago). I don't know that I would have pursued a non diver for a spouse. Our first dive was at Marys place in Roatan. She was concerned about the depth and the walls enclosing her in the cleft so we stayed up on the top of the reef and had a nice dive. I made sure she understood that there was no (and never would be) any pressure to do anything she wasn't comfortable with. As a result I have an excellent dive buddy. We know exactly what the other is doing and it is a bit of a pain now when I go diving without her and get an "insta buddy". I'm just glad that I was patient and she had the interest (and patience with me :) to continue diving. We later got married in Fiji, honeymooned on the spoilsport diving the great barrier reef and life is grand.

I was a diving for 5 year before my wife got certified. Let me tell you, it's great to have a diver spouse to travel and dive with. And Debbie is a terrific diver. I never pushed her- she arrived at a point where she said she was ready. Don't press the issue, guide her gently, and whatever you do, stay away from her certification classes and dives, unless she asks you to join her. Trust me on this. Let it be her call if you are around or not. Don't volunteer help, but give it IF ASKED. ( Oh yea, here's a memo to jar546 - Thanks for the post. I was thinking what you were thinking. But you expressed it much more delicately that I might have. )
DivemasterDennis

This is an excellent post that bears repeating. Similar to other skill-based & potentially hazardous hobbies like shooting, motorcycle riding, etc., I believe it's usually better to not try to teach one's spouse/SO. There's a level of communication & intimacy that can make it hard for both sides to be objective. The student might feel criticized even with valid & needed critiques. By the same token, it's too tempting to try to be overprotective and avoid correction when needed or swoop in before the partner is able to learn from minor failures.

My wife isn't always thrilled when I give medical answers she doesn't like. It sometimes takes a real appointment with a "real doctor" to say the same things.

I'm getting back into diving, but with a non diving spouse. We had fun on a half-hour reef discovery dive last year. She is an amazing swimmer and loves to snorkel, but is unsure if she would like diving beyond the scope of that trip. I would love to do more nice rec dives with her, and she's interested in getting her OW ticket to dive together. If she likes it, that would be great. If she does the class and decides that diving isn't for her, then I won't bother her about it in the future.

Her biggest concern is the unknown. "What if I run out of air, or get lost, or eaten by a shark? What if you get eaten by a shark while lost and running out of air while I run out of air at the same time being eaten by a shark and can't find you?"

The biggest disservice I could do to her would be to tag along for her class. It could allow misplaced dependence on me, and I'm still a very novice diver. Confidence comes from knowing she can handle problems underwater, not thinking that I can fix everything. For that reason, we are planning to have her bypass the local shops and do her class privately with the instructor who taught my GUE primer last week. I have no doubt that he will adequately discuss gas planning and buddy skills for her.

She'll likely start diving in a BP/W from the get-go. I'll happily get her a pink anodized BP, pink wing, and pink webbing if she decides to keep diving together.

Last edited:
Congrats on your wife's cert. I to have a diving SO. He was certified when we met but had not done it in ages. It took over a year with me casually mentioning that I wished he could join me. Eventually, he started looking into it again and scheduled a refresher class with a guy that would show him all that he needed.

So far so good. And we are a good team. I still dive me and am far too independent when diving than he is use to around the house. I think the more he does it, the better it will be. There have been times that he has not felt up for the dive. I schedule it for me and tell him how I wish he could join me but that I understand. I then try to schedule dives for just us in places that I know he will be comfy.

Just have patience with her and you will have a great buddy. No pressure from you and there will be less pressure on herself when she is diving.

She'll likely start diving in a BP/W from the get-go. I'll happily get her a pink anodized BP, pink wing, and pink webbing if she decides to keep diving together.

Powder coating works great. Love, Love LOVE my pink plate.

pink plate.jpg

Skip the pink wing and webbing as it fades from sun and salt water.

Thanks for the powder coat tip & webbing tip. Now that you mentioned it, it looks like my HOG Al BP is powder-coated black instead of anodized. I'll look into some local metal finishing shops to see what they can do in a more vibrant color.

My wife has decided to be my eternal-discover-scuba-diving-student. So hand in hand we go, not deeper than 40 ft. and that is fine with me. She has about 20 dives and I look forward to the next one.

When I first read the thread title I thought it was something NSFW -- but then got my mind temporarily out of the gutter and continued reading. Glad to hear she's liking it -- my wife gets motion sick so won't really consider it -- she has gone snorkeling but wasn't fond of it. Maybe eventually a discover scuba will help since usually don't get motion sick under the water

Back
Top Bottom