Got to test-dive a Waterproof drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
While removing my DUI after the first dive today my neck seal failed. My LDS owner was nice enough to let me borrow his personal Waterproof drysuit. I'm not 100% certain but I think it was the D10. Overall I have mixed feelings from my single dive in it. First, the suit is at least twice, if not three times heavier than my DUI TLS. I really liked the integrated boots (thankfully the LDS owner has the same sized feet as me! ) and they were more comfortable than the dry-sock and rock boot setup with my DUI. The mesh-web lining in the suit made donning a little different because it's not sealed to the shell, but it doesn't make it difficult. This suit was a back-entry which I DON'T like, but in times like this beggars cant be choosers! :no: The neoprene neck and wrist seals were great and I was surprised to learn they are replaceable like DUI's zip-seals.

In the water it felt VERY different from my TLS. First, the integrated mesh system adds a lot of loft to the suit so it requires more weight to dive. That mesh also means you need MUCH LESS of an undergarment. The owner recommended just shorts and t-shirt so that is what I used. The mesh liner is a bit rough and STIFF. When you have some suit squeeze you feel that mesh on your skin and it's not exactly pleasant. If I bought one I would be sure to have something covering my arms and legs. That mesh liner allows a free movement of air, but it also means you can't really dump all the air. Even when I couldn't get another bubble out of the exhaust I could feel a small amount of air moving inside. This also brought up a downside (for me) to the suit. I like to keep a small amount of air in my feet to help with positioning, but because air could move so freely in the suit that as soon as I dropped my feet a little bit, that air moved back up to the torso. So I was fighting to keep the air where I wanted it during the whole dive. I'm sure it's just something you can learn to work with but coming from my DUI it was a negative.

Even though I had zero thermal undies I never felt the slightest chill in water down to about 70 degrees. I didn't have a drop of water on me after the dive was over, and I didn't even have sweat dampness on my clothes. Overall I was very happy with the suit and I think one of their front-entry versions would make a nice next drysuit for me.

Sounds like you dove the D1 Hybrid. I have one and have mixed feelings. It is warm for sure and wearing nothing but a base layer is nice, but the extra weight needed is tough. Plus i feel like dumping air is impossible.

Yes, you're right, it was a D1 hybrid suit. I didn't find the extra needed weight to be too bad. I didn't have trouble actually dumping air, but yes there were times I wanted to dump a little more and it just couldn't because the liner creates a perma-air layer. I would still buy one because I think I could get used to the idiosyncrasies of it. Of course, that should be I WOULD buy one if they could make it in a front-entry suit.

since you have dove both how does the DUI compare and why would you change?

That's a tough question because it's kind of like comparing a truck to a volkswagon. Both get you from A to B and both use engines, but they very different vehicles. Also, there are some very different aspects between my personal DUI and the D1 I used.

My Dui has dry-socks and the D1 has installed boots. I REALLY prefer the boots but that is also an option on DUIs
The D1 was a harder to get my legs/feet into because of the liner. The DUI is a bare shell so everything slides right in. Can't compare.
The D1 I used was dry, dry, dry and I was very happy with that, but my DUI is also O-L-D so I forgive an occasional pinhole.
Both have user replaceable wrist and neck seals which I really like.

If I had to buy a new suit today, I would have to go with another TLS. If Waterproof came out with a front-entry D1 I would be buying that. The reason I would change is that I was just plain impressed with the suit after diving it. A few things that you have to mentally adjust for with it, but I'm confident that after a short period of owning and diving one you would be completely used to.

If Waterproof came out with a front-entry D1 I would be buying that.

The D7 is pretty much the same as the D1 except it is front entry and doesn't have the built in lining. Would you still go with the TLS?

Overall I was very happy with the suit and I think one of their front-entry versions would make a nice next drysuit for me.

I thought the same but went the other way - I bought the D7 and took it home to wear around the house. Brought it back for the D1 - best decision I made.

I made a homemade "zipper upper" - cave string and a small block of wood that I attach to my door handle. I have zipped up quite a few times going solo. That said it is much easier with a buddy or a stranger walking by my dive site... lol - at night when I approach folks get a little skittish but so far no one has refused to zip me up...

BTW - I have had it in 39 degree water with lycra tights and a running shirt - all light materials...

I thought the same but went the other way - I bought the D7 and took it home to wear around the house. Brought it back for the D1 - best decision I made.

I made a homemade "zipper upper" - cave string and a small block of wood that I attach to my door handle. I have zipped up quite a few times going solo. That said it is much easier with a buddy or a stranger walking by my dive site... lol - at night when I approach folks get a little skittish but so far no one has refused to zip me up...

BTW - I have had it in 39 degree water with lycra tights and a running shirt - all light materials...

What other drysuits did you have prior to the D1? How do they compare to the D1?

now go try out a aqua lung (whites) Fusion Bullet !!

I was really interested in Waterproof - I tried on pretty much the entire line.... They were having a demo day - the D1 is pretty much bullet proof. I have climbed and crawled over inlet rocks in NJ and have used it in SC on some of the wrecks. I have abused it in the water and dropping over the rails of boats and it does not show.

To be fair it is new in January 2016 but I have over 45 dives on it and I would recommend it to anyone.

The only time it has leaked at all was due to me using a 4lbs sledge hammer under water on some rebar. The tendons make ridges on my wrists when I grab tight on an object. Those ridges on the wrist allow a little water to enter through the wrist seals. To me that is not a defect of the suit but rather my anatomy and the pressure of the water on the seals. On a normal dive - lobstering or hunting the suit is great. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom