Government scuba cops . . . [found this in CDNN]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twomixdiver:
Those two Japanese scuba divers were both instructors who decided to go on a night dive to 60 meters, single tank, on air.

This information is taken first hand from their boss in the Mactan Resort where they were employed.

Well dead man don't talk. Explanation sounds floored. 60 meters (or is it 60 feet) on a single air tank and at night??? Firstly they are instructors and would well be aware of the risk of diving below the recommended recreational limits of 130 feet, decompresion and narcosis. Something does not sound right.

Hank49:
This is a very good thing. The only problem is that with only one patrol boat...and the Philippines is big as far as coastline....well, at least it's a start. One thing they should be allowed to do is blow the hell out of any boat carrying dynamite. I used to hear dynamite giong off right off of Punta Engano on Mactan in 1990. Right off the second largest city in the country. That is so deep rooted though......Dynamite fishing and deforestation is what hurt the Philippine reefs so badly.
And isn't Apo Reef more up near Mindoro? I thoght Apo Island was down near Dumagete, Negros/Cebu. Hank
one boat... well... it is a start, but nowhere near the end... i wish they had a bigger budget or they can get some international funding and have the local officials put the money in the right place

wish they can shoot dynamiters on sight? AMEN!!! don't know how many times i've heard dynamite go off in calatagan when i was much younger. personally, it's blast the fishers and sell the family into slavery...

ya, apo reef and apo island are 2 diff places... i jsut get confused w/c is w/c

Jag

what do you mean... 'red tape'. they didn't say you have to get special training. the 'scuba cops' are just making sure that divers are not doing what their not supposed to be doing. however, sometimes in overconservative situations those in charge can over-exert their authority. it could be a great way to preserve the natural resources... then again, not that i've ever had any inclination to go gangbusters on a reef, it's a little disconcerting that someone is looking over my shoulder.

I would be interested to know what these cops' underwater procedures are, and how much of their patrol time is dedicated to underwater monitoring. Hopefully they spend most of their duty period above the water, patrolling against fishing and looney-tunes boaters.

The death of Japanese tourist/instructors created some bad press in Japan. Whether the scuba team can cover the "entire Philippines reef" is not an issue. The govt. want to show the Japanese tourist that something is done to make it safer for them to visit, and think that a govt. scuba team might do the job. It is symbolic. But if they scuba team really contribute to reef conservation, then Bravo to the team. It is a good start.

Tim Wong:
Well dead man don't talk. Explanation sounds floored. 60 meters (or is it 60 feet) on a single air tank and at night??? Firstly they are instructors and would well be aware of the risk of diving below the recommended recreational limits of 130 feet, decompresion and narcosis. Something does not sound right.
There were three persons who went on that dive that night. The only survivor of that group was a Japanese photographer who stayed within 10m (33 ft) of the surface. He reportedly overheard the other two mention the 60 meter dive.

Only one body was recovered. The other is still missing.

Tim Wong:
There were three persons who went on that dive that night. The only survivor of that group was a Japanese photographer who stayed within 10m (33 ft) of the surface. He reportedly overheard the other two mention the 60 meter dive plan.

Only one body was recovered. The other is still missing.

Shugar- That is true not only in "Third World" countries but too often here as well. In my country it is not driven so much by economic need but by greed. I see too many people poaching and taking illegal marine life just because they want to eat it. Here it is inexcusable, elsewhere it is often truly a necessity.

I do applaud the efforts other countries have taken to protect their marine life. I wish California had been more successful in its attempts to establish a coordinated network of marine reserves a few years ago (through the MLPA). It seems that greed (er, "politics") got in the way here.

Dr. Bill

I spent the recent Halloween weekend on Apo Reef (the one on the southwest side of Mindoro) and didn't see any signs of "scuba cops".

Hopefully the cops will concentrate on protecting the reefs and let Darwin deal with those that choose to get in his way.

Drew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom