Grand Bahama Trip 11 days march 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaignstar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
here's our scedule, 1 night at the Bell Channel Inn and then go to the blackbeards liveabord for 6 days and then go to the sheraton for 4 days.

This is our first time in the bahama.

we are expecting to dive, dive, dive.

Is it possible to dive with a Stage on the liveaboard ?

any suggestion, any dive site ?

We will Probably dive with Unexso.

thanks

I've dove with my own pony bottles on Blackbeard's, but they prefer you not go into Deco. Remember they are a long way from port in the event of DCS problems. As far as a full 80cf stage they are probably not going to provide it for you. The Bell Channel inn is very basic, but it's fine for a couple of nights. Probably wouldn't book it for a week. Bell Channel has their own on-site dive operator and we did a morning dive with him last year before going to Blackbeard's dock after noon. We also dove with him for 2 days after our Blackbeard's last year. Ask him to take you Lucayan caves. You can spend the entire dive going thru the swim thru's.

I've dove with my own pony bottles on Blackbeard's, but they prefer you not go into Deco. Remember they are a long way from port in the event of DCS problems. As far as a full 80cf stage they are probably not going to provide it for you. The Bell Channel inn is very basic, but it's fine for a couple of nights. Probably wouldn't book it for a week. Bell Channel has their own on-site dive operator and we did a morning dive with him last year before going to Blackbeard's dock after noon. We also dove with him for 2 days after our Blackbeard's last year. Ask him to take you Lucayan caves. You can spend the entire dive going thru the swim thru's.

Thanks for the info. A pony is a good alternative.

should I use 5mm or 7mm suit ?

let me know

Hello Gaignstar,

We dove with UNEXSO and had an awesome time the people and facilities were great. I highly recommend the dolphin and shark dives. Be sure to make a reservation because those dives are limited all the info is on their website. We stayed at the Westin which was first class all the way. The Shearton (located next door) is very nice. There are several restaurants and plenty of non-diving things to do. I think a 3mm suit would be just fine a 7mm is too much. We also dove Ben's cavern. Someone told us about diving on the West End but we never made it out that far. I'm sure that you will have a great time.

Sincerely,

Michael

If you are not firm on Unesco, I'd strongly consider Grand Bahama Scuba, located at Ocean Reef Club - they will pick you up gratis and bring you back - its an excellent operation and less crowded and commercial than Unesco.

Google them and see what you think - having been to Freeport over 100 times, Unesco would not be my 1st choice.

I'm always cold, so don't go by me - but a 7mm, especially doing multiple dives a day on Blackbeards - would not be crazy. A 5mm w/ a hood (and vest if you have one) could also work.

Even though you are coming from the north, its still the tail end of winter and Grand Bahama is way north relativly speaking - you will likely encounter h20 temps in the mid 70's, and if you do 4 - 5 dives a day, you could get chilly.

Have to agree, I wouldn't pick UNEXSO as my first choice either - had good luck with GBS last year.

Thanks for your info I'll go with GBS, I don't like going diving with 20 peoples at the same time. I'm still confuse about the wetsuit. I think I'll bring the 4-3mm and the 7mm. I don't like getting cold.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom