Grand Cayman Activities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You really don't need a GPS on island it is only 23 miles long and about 3 miles wide .It's hard to get lost.
Obviously you haven't seen Eric navigating.:wink:
Kathy has given very good advice and I know she has spent lots of time on island.
It was on Kathy's recommendation that I selected TNI for our stay.

Last edited:
I may be in a minority here and I admit to being "navigationally challenged" but I have circled the roundabouts a number of times, while driving on the left and trying to pick the correct exit, and sometimes I've selected the wrong exit. That can be fun when you are touring around on vacation but if you are trying to get to the marina or the dive shop to make the morning dives it's not that enjoyable.

TNI is about 10 or 12 miles from places like the airport, Georgetown, West Bay, and 7 Mille Beach and there are quite a few roundabouts to navigate during the drive. And when you are lost in the maze of Georgetown's narrow, angled, one-way streets trying to find a place to park, a GPS can be very helpful IMO.

We have Apple phone apps that offer very good navigation but on GC I like the old Garmin the best and it doesn't take up much room in the luggage. We set it for a female voice with a proper British accent and I appreciate it when she says sexy things like "in 0.2 miles enter roundabout and take the third exit!"

Last year when we arrived at GCM and picked up the rental car it was already dark and a heavy thunderstorm was in progress and so we really appreciated the old girl that night! When we don't need the Garmin we just turn it off.

But as others have said, the island is not that large and you will soon find your way around, have fun!

...It was on Kathy's recommendation that I selected TNI for our stay.

I am really pleased that you are giving it a try, we love TNI. What type of room did you reserve? East End Diver owns a Turtle Nest Condo and I have gotten a lot of great information from him!

Bodden Town is more of a residential area, unlike the much more popular 7 Mile Beach and West Bay, but we prefer to stay in a quieter, less developed, and less expensive area. And it is located in the middle of the island so you are not too far from anything.

The East End and North Point are nice areas, with good diving, but they are pretty far away and there is usually a 45 minute drive to most of the attractions, and that is a bit too far IMO.

TNI is a small family-owned inn. It sits on the water, there is a nice little beach, a small pool, and a big gas barbecue that guests can use. It is clean and pleasant and the people are lovely and you get maid service every day except Sunday - it's paradise - enjoy!

I enjoyed the experience of driving on the opposite side of the road in GC than what we do in the states, it was my first time ever doing that. And I was surprised at how quickly it seemed normal, in fact after getting back home, it took a little concentration leaving the airport correctly :)

Navigating GC isn't bad, but a garmin/smart phone is always nice for a little added comfort.

Whatever is keeping you from doing at least one shore dive every day is a good candidate for cancelling. The shore dives are better than stingray city. Lots of good restaurants, but none are a must do.

I enjoyed the experience of driving on the opposite side of the road in GC than what we do in the states, it was my first time ever doing that.

If you thought that was fun, you are really going to love it when you turn 40, and again as you approach 60.

Whatever is keeping you from doing at least one shore dive every day is a good candidate for cancelling. The shore dives are better than stingray city. Lots of good restaurants, but none are a must do.
Its a "business trip" with am conference meetings 4 of the days there and its paying for all but food and extracurricular activities. So no cancelling and of course I would never dream of skipping any of it. :wink:

We dived Sting Ray City the first time we went to Grand Cayman long ago in the 1980s. It was a wonderful experience and not the huge circus that it has become. A decade or so later we did it again and didn't enjoy it at all. It was packed and both the people and sting rays were pushy and a bit aggressive.

But when we were on the Cayman Aggressor in 2008 it was one of the last planned dives of the trip. We didn't want to do it but there were others on the boat that had never been and they were eager - and so we went along. The Aggressor got there very early in the morning. There were not many people around and we didn't find ourselves in the middle of feeding frenzy. We really had a great time and were glad that we decided to participate.

I think that SRC is something that you should do at least once, but be sure to time it to avoid the crowds. If you can go on a day when there are no cruise ships in port that would be good, or at least go early (or late) when things are quieter. Your dive shop can help you.

I have never tried snorkeling the Sting Ray Sand Bar, but it usually appears crowded.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the experience of driving on the opposite side of the road in GC than what we do in the states, it was my first time ever doing that. And I was surprised at how quickly it seemed normal, in fact after getting back home, it took a little concentration leaving the airport correctly :)

Navigating GC isn't bad, but a garmin/smart phone is always nice for a little added comfort.

My husband likes driving on the left, he thinks it is fun, but I am not a fan. And I prefer a car with a left-side steering wheel because it feels more natural and I find it easier to judge distances - but he likes the right side steering because it is different!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom