Grand Cayman advice/recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GSODvr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The wife and I are staying at Compass Point and diving with Ocean frontiers 9/26-10/3. First time visiting/diving in G.C. Any advice, tips, suggestions for a newbie...

Thanks,

Richard

For diving - Do not miss two dives; one at sunset beach with a great channel leading out to the sea and the mermaid statue, and the other at devils grotto with fantastic caves and swimthroughs. Doing the Stingray city is a must but I'd bet you'll do that with any operation. Enjoy!

Once you've been, please post your impressions. I'm staying/diving with the same operation Nov. 1-6, will be interested in your experience.

The hubster and I are going too! Searching right now for tips, good sites, shore dives and snorkle spots.

See you there!!!! :14:

I dive with Ocean Frontiers every March. They have a great staff and the boats are comfortable. The East End of Grand Cayman has great diving. The walls are pristiene and full of life. The East End is quiet with little night life or congestion which is what we like. If you want the night life it is a bit of a trek in to town and 7 mile beach. The trip should not be made at rush hour. Have fun.
Donzi

The wife and I are staying at Compass Point and diving with Ocean frontiers 9/26-10/3. First time visiting/diving in G.C. Any advice, tips, suggestions for a newbie...

Thanks,

Richard

The dive operation is very good. Dive breifings are among the best I have seen in the Caribbean. All dives are guided and they are very familiar with the dive sites and are responsive to requests. Very good value.

Plenty of fish and coral structures, canyons, walls. The reef was still beat up a bit from Ivan when we were there, but still pretty good, good visibility, not much current.

They bring your gear to the boat for the dive, and return it to the storage locker with a rinse and hang it up to dry. Good storage allows gear to dry, ready for the next day. You start your dive rested and relaxed.

The condos are very nice, spacious, quiet, and comfortable. We like having kitchen facilities, washer, dryer. Cuts down on the cost of eating and adds to the relaxation time. It is great to be close to the boat and dive shop.

Pool is OK but not great; beach is very rocky. There is a nice beach about 3 miles to the northwest.

You need a car, though, as grocery stores, restaurants, beaches are too far for walking or biking, and taxi service is not very good.

Vivines Kitchen is just down the road. Good ,cheap,local food. (Goat curry,plantains etc)

Should you want to do some shore dives the easiest place is the West End. Do your boat dives in the morning,drive into Georgetown in the afternoon,dive at Sunset House, have a beer watching the sun go down then head home maybe picking up groceries on the way. This will miss the traffic which is not trivial. Also excellent shore dives in West Bay at the Turtle Farm (Sundivers) and Lighthouse Point (Divetech) although these are a longer drive.

Morritts/Reef Resort on the East End (10 minute drive) has a very nice beach and good swimming pools.Used to have the best snorkeling (especially night snorkeling) on the island,underneath the dock but Ivan changed all that. Anyone know if the dock has been rebuilt?

Take a drive on the Queens Highway (North East Coast) to see how the other 0.0000001% lives!

Hi There,

My Husband and I dove with Ocean Frontiers a couple of years ago and they still remain the best company I have ever dove with. We dove with them for several days so they kept our gear and had everything ready for us every morning. They drew pictures on a white board to go over our dive plan and were very easy to get along with.

We are going back on October 18th of this year and plan to spend time diving with them again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom