Grand Cayman early December...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajames54

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife is booked to run the Cayman marathon (half) and she just recieved an e-mail from the runs organizers claiming that the Court Yard Marriot was going to be closed due to renovations and repairs of "extensive damage" from Paloma.

While I don't like the sound of "extensive damage" I'm not totally worried yet.. we are booked at Cobalt Coast.. does anyone have first hand, non biased reports on Cobalt Coast and West Bay in general?

Rumour has it that they are using "extensive damage from Paloma" as an excuse to close for other reasons. There were no reports of "extensive damage" after Paloma - they just seem to have surfaced now. Cobalt Coast is a far better spot anyway.

I was there a few weeks back and they were stripping wallpaper as I was leaving. That was the 4th of Nov. Paloma arrived over the next couple of days.

I was on the island for Paloma (scheduled to leave the day it hit :banghead: ) and was aware of very little (major) damage due to the storm. A few days later at home, listening to their local radio station (CayRock 96.5, streaming on the web), I heard a news report about the closure and dismissing of some employees due to "extensive" storm damage. I was skeptical from the start....

At least they had the decency to lie to you. Plenty of stories abound about hotels just deciding to mothball for the season because they don't have enough bookings to justify opening for the season. :shakehead:

It is a pretty sad state of affairs for the Caribbean tourist industry right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom