Grand Cayman Favorite Dive Sites, Restaurants, Things to Do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm funny about posting dates in open forums, but late spring.

Depends on paranoid level I guess...or things guys do different, sorry if I offend, but in other sub-forums we often post dates to group dives, usually with a local diver / shop. Like in the Cozumel thread.

I can suggest you visit the bar @ Sunset House, you can organize a nice shore dive there. The boat rides are the most daunting, shore dives with a buddy are fun and less expensive.

Like a night dive in shallow, in the 10-15' range, is something I want to try.

Depends on paranoid level I guess...or things guys do different, sorry if I offend, but in other sub-forums we often post dates to group dives, usually with a local diver / shop. Like in the Cozumel thread.

I can suggest you visit the bar @ Sunset House, you can organize a nice shore dive there. The boat rides are the most daunting, shore dives with a buddy are fun and less expensive.

We stayed at Sunset House. Weather blew out the diving on that side of the island except the first day and the last day. The Kittiwake dive was the last day of diving there for me. It was too rough and the shore diving was closed.

I will agree the bar at Sunset House is a great place to congregate. You would see locals come in in the evenings and play dominoes etc. I wish I would have had another chance to do the shore dive. The timing and the weather ruined that chance. Sunset House did take us south so I didn't miss any days of diving, just certain locations. One of my favorite dives was on the south side.

Some of the best dives we did:

NW Point/West Bay area:

Big Tunnel
Orange Canyon
Trinity Caves
Hepps Wall

South:
Blackie's Hole

Dives on my short list for next trip:

Eagle Ray Pass
Hammerhead Hill
Babylon (by boat)

If you solo or find a buddy, your friend could hang out at Macabuca or Cracked Conch while you shoredive Turtle Reef. Go south to see the big school of Tarpon. You can swim right through them if you move slowly. IDK if Sundivers - onsite dive op - has them but when it was run by Divetech, they rented scooters.

Oh Gosh, you didn't offend. But as a woman living alone, with a history of someone coming to my home uninvited before, I just don't post specific dates of travel, even on closed or opt in forums.

Thanks for this suggestion of Sunset House.

What is daunting about boat dives there? Long rides? In Depth Watersports has a speedy RMB. Plus, I'm from NC!

May also try to find some good snorkeling sites or shallow sites where my friend can snorkel and I can dive.

Some of the best dives we did:

NW Point/West Bay area:

Big Tunnel
Orange Canyon
Trinity Caves
Hepps Wall

South:
Blackie's Hole

Dives on my short list for next trip:

Eagle Ray Pass
Hammerhead Hill
Babylon (by boat)

If you solo or find a buddy, your friend could hang out at Macabuca or Cracked Conch while you shoredive Turtle Reef. Go south to see the big school of Tarpon. You can swim right through them if you move slowly. IDK if Sundivers - onsite dive op - has them but when it was run by Divetech, they rented scooters.

Thanks for the specific dive site suggestions. Very helpful. I'll probably dive only one or two days since my friend is not certified, so I want to cherry pick my sites.

Thanks all.

+1 for Diversteve. Those are the dive spots. Oddly enough another Board member is going to be there the same time as I (in late spring) and he is using In Depth as well. I'm going with Seasports.... Common shore dives (with facilities, tanks, rinse stations, [food and drink], and an ability to get a diving buddy) (You will not be able to rent one tank and will not be able to get two tanks with one card).

1. My favorite - Turtle Reef - decent snorkel yet prevailing weather usually causes a moderate surge that can be uncomfortable for snorkelers. Not a problem below the surface just seems to be not quite perfect for snorkeling.... It's at the Cracked Conch, which we said before is great food. A little pricey but great food.
2. Eden rock (devils Grotto) That is a great easy dive. the reef is a little beet up by all the traffic. It's the only place I know of that not only have cool swim throughs but can also truely be considered a beginners level dive. It also makes a fabulous snorkel spot with protected waters and shollow depths.
DO NOT GO IF THERE IS A SHIP MOORED IN TOWN.
3. Sunset House Reef - First, it's called "MY BAR" not the bar. The dive is undramatic. It does have some good points and a snorkeling would be nice as well. The lodge/rest/bar is cool, the entry and exit is cool, the mermaid is cool, the wreck, well it's something to look at. nothing extraordinary but put it all together, and it just makes a great way to spend a couple hours. (It would also be a good idea not to go here when a ship is moored but I won't put it in capitals)

and nothing daunting about boat dives there. The local industry (for the tourist) keeps the diving pretty plain.

I was there in December and dove for the week but to be honest, I didn't pay all that much attention to the names of the dive sites. But the Kittywake was good and I enjoyed one called "Arm Chair" or something like that.

As far as food goes, we really liked Calypso and ate there twice. Here is a link: Calypso Grill - Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman restaurant If you go there, you MUST have their dessert called "Sticky Toffee Pudding". It is one of the very best desserts I have ever eaten!

Hope you have a great trip!

I was there in December and dove for the week but to be honest, I didn't pay all that much attention to the names of the dive sites. But the Kittywake was good and I enjoyed one called "Arm Chair" or something like that.

As far as food goes, we really liked Calypso and ate there twice. Here is a link: Calypso Grill - Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman restaurant If you go there, you MUST have their dessert called "Sticky Toffee Pudding". It is one of the very best desserts I have ever eaten!

Hope you have a great trip!

Hi there homeboy, thanks for the tips. I like it when I am ordered to have dessert. Restaurant looks good!
Did you go to Charlotte for the direct flight or connect?

I already have my dive op selected. My home boy Nat at In Depth Water Sports. He doesn't take too many divers, and uses an RMB that moves fast and can get to some sites more easily than most boats. What I am trying to narrow down are the specific dive sites I want to try to get to in those couple of diving days,

Say Hi to Nat for me. I've done quite a few dives with him in the past when he was with Divetech. Great guy. Not a bad diver either!

IMHO most of the dives on the West End are nothing special at recreational depths. For truly stunning wall dives you need to get to the North Wall or East End. As you will be in a fast boat Babylon would be an excellent option. Although I've never dived it Ghost Mountain (North West Point) is supposed to be excellent.

Hi there homeboy, thanks for the tips. I like it when I am ordered to have dessert. Restaurant looks good!
Did you go to Charlotte for the direct flight or connect?

We actually flew with American thru Miami. I don't normally like going thru Miami put the price was right!

We actually flew with American thru Miami. I don't normally like going thru Miami put the price was right!

Yeah, I'm with you. I ALWAYS have my luggage rifled through and something go missing when I route through Miami. I was told at RDU that almost 40 percent of bags coming through there have some sort of claim. You would think they could monitor baggage handling a bit better than that. Good thing that dive gear/grubby dive clothes are not of interest to most people. What I had stolen last time was a light sweater which still had the tags on it. I remove all tags now.

Back
Top Bottom