Grand Cayman Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cayman diver:
As you will find we drive on the correct side, and we have a mix of RHD and LHD cars we also have 3 and 4 way (american stops -most of wich you don't actually stop at) but we have traditional english roundabouts (olase don't stop on them - if you are on it you have right of way)

Word of warning we do have police driving arount with continuosly on rader front and rear (easy to pick upwith a detector) but they will fine you $100Ci upto 10mph over the limit then an extra $100 per10mph upto max of $500.

If you think thats steep break any marine park rules (like wearing gloves) and it could cost $500000.00 CI and a year in prision. $1 Ci = $1.25US ish
Justian

No offense intended --- that's why I put "wrong side" in quotes --- everything is relative!

shakeybrainsurgeon:
One other tip --- if renting a car, remember that Cayman's use the british method of dring on the 'wrong side" of the road. Very disconcerting if you have never done it. If you aren't renting a car, consider calling in advance and reserving transportation from the airport (most hotels --- and sunset house) provide this transportation. When a flight comes in, everyone wants a cab at the same time and there aren't that many. I had to wait in line about an hour outside the airport just to get a taxi.
I think I need to rent a car ... so I can see the whole island on the week I am there at Grand Cayman ... or bikes ... ride a bus:confused: http://www.divetech.com/ will get mey dive pkg since I will stay very near the shop location on the West end .. Tell me some of the really kewl stuff to do while I am there :popcorn:
Oh btw Florida Conch diver here and active scuba board member comming in 01/30/07 to 02/06/07 adv ow diver nitrox cert ... love wrecks .... got some:huh:
Kim P

try anys car rental www.andys.ky they have the best rates here (worst cars though- but they are clean and work) there is lots of diving to do here and rum point is worth the drive the turtle farm is a bit touristy but they have a nice pool and are expecting to open more soon (go late in the day when the cruise ships have left or on sundays no ships in)
maby see you here

Cobalt Coast Dive Resort - Great place to stay. Also, the dive shop (Dive Tech) on site is Top Notch!!! Great shore dives right from the hotel. Get up, eat breakfast, suit up, step off the dock - it doesn't get any easier. A+++ group to stay and dive with!

we're happy and loyal repeat customers. Can't imagine we'd ever stay with, or dive with, anyone else in GC.

If you want old school diving, then dive with "Don't Foster". Twenty divers on the boat; twelve divers to one dive master; being told you have to ascend with 1500 still left in your tank; newbies bumping into you trying to get to the front. If you're experienced enough that the divemaster checks on you only once during your first dive, because he knows you know, try Dive N'Stuff. Depending on how long you're diving, Paul, the owner, MAY negotiate downward. No one else would budge from their "pricefixed" rates.

cayman diver:
As you will find we drive on the correct side, and we have a mix of RHD and LHD cars we also have 3 and 4 way (american stops -most of wich you don't actually stop at) but we have traditional english roundabouts (olase don't stop on them - if you are on it you have right of way)

Word of warning we do have police driving arount with continuosly on rader front and rear (easy to pick upwith a detector) but they will fine you $100Ci upto 10mph over the limit then an extra $100 per10mph upto max of $500.

If you think thats steep break any marine park rules (like wearing gloves) and it could cost $500000.00 CI and a year in prision. $1 Ci = $1.25US ish
Justian

Ah, the age old question. Is the opposite of right left, or is the opposite of right wrong?

This January will be our third trip to Cayman. We like the Spanish Bay Resort, primarily because it is an all inclusive resort, the food and service is really good, free shore diving including equipment if you need it, it is kind of away from the busy part of 7-mile beach but not that far of a drive either. A lot of people do not like the all inclusive places but that is how we are able to afford it. We book through

http://www.cheapcaribean.com

This last trip for the two of us for 5 days includes airfare (direct flights from Charlotte, NC) AI resort, (great food, booze, shore diving) a 2 tank boat trip, a snorkel excursion, transfers (all though we will rent a car)
Grand total = $2000

http://www.cheapcaribean.com/

Never knew about that and it looks like a great way to book travel.
Thanks, I'm going to try it. Have you used them before, if not, could you post after your trip and let us know how they worked out?
Thanks, have a wonderful trip in January, we're leaving this Friday and I'm so excited I can't sleep!

Welcome to Scuba Board, if you get a chance you may want to stay at Little Cayman - I was there in November 2004 - Little Cayman Beach Resort - it was excellent, the diving was GREAT, the resort was intimate and the food was every good. They have also just re done the resort. Have a wonderful time!!

Back
Top Bottom