Grand Cayman Mini Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divesergeant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just back from two great weeks on GCM. I'm too lazy to post all the pictures, but here's a synopsis.

Nice weather. We did 9 days of boat diving with Casey at Neptune's, seven days we went to the north wall. The first two days we went west due to wind and waves being up.

Random thoughts on diving:

Way fewer lionfish on the dive sites. They have been hunting them aggressively and it shows. I believe that the population is probably still growing at depths and in non-dived areas, but at least on the dive sites we noted the change.

Snappers seem to have figured out the lionfish hunting. Each dive we had a couple snapper that followed us around, even poking their heads into the recesses into which we were looking. Divemaster reports say that some snapper even seem to ease over to where lionfish are hanging out and wait for a hunter to make the kill for them. Kind of like a bird dog.

We saw eagle rays on almost each day on the north.

Lots of green moray eels, more out free swimming during the day than I have seen in the past.

Great shore dives at Turtle Reef and Lighthouse Point

There are many dive operators on GCM, and many are very good. I haven't dived with any lately other than Ocean Frontiers (East End) DiveTech and Neptune's. Thus, I can't say that Neptune's in 'the best' on the island as I have to experience with others. I can say that Casey and her crew are wonderful to dive with. They are safety oriented, conservation oriented and customer oriented. Each dive will have a divemaster leading if you'd like to follow, or you can mill about on your own. We've dived with her since 2008. Each time just reinforces that we have made the right choice.

Random thought of eating:

Twice at Rackams (a perennial favorite, and great as always)

Sunshine Grill (I was disappointed with a rather dry wahoo, but the wife's pasta dish was good)

Coconut Joe's (another favorite that didn't let us down)

Macabuca for lunches after shore dives (great conch dishes and coconut shrimp)

Eagle Rays at Ocean Frontiers made great coconut shrimp and lionfish tacos

Most meals we ate in the apartment. We stayed close to George Town so I was able to get fresh fish from the guys at the harbor. I baked it and served it over pasta or rice. That made the cost of the trip go down considerably.

Random island thoughts:

The island is changing. Each visit we find more round-abouts and development. I am not saying it is good or bad, it just is happening. The Dart family seems to do whatever they want as far as building new resorts, closing a segment of the beach road, etc. I don't have insight into the dynamics of the whole thing, so I try not to form an opinion.

I did a running report as the trip went over on the Cayman Activity Guide, with pictures uploaded and dive sites listed. I know some are not fans of the CAG, and I understand the reasons. But, there is pretty much no more censorship when non-advertisers are mentioned and, as I'm one of the last moderators, I decided to post my full report there. Please check it out.

Cheers,
DiveSergeant

thnx for posting

I agree with your assessment on the changing of Grand Cayman, I could say I don't like it but it's not my country so my only money in the game is tourist. I can say I miss a lot of things, mostly, a slower pace. It's always nice to see improvements, but then, are they really improvements? I miss the old days, having the Holiday Inn and the Palms on 7MB, the sound of music at night and beach dancing to the likes of the Barefoot Man. Some of this can now be found on the East side, but yes it is much different.

If you want to go back in time, head to the Brac or to LC.
Both are quiet, have a slower pace and are reminiscent of what GC was like 20 years ago.

You can't blame the Caymanians for wanting progress and the wealth that goes with it, but at least they have left the sister islands pretty much alone so far.

Thanks for the review.

If you want to go back in time, head to the Brac or to LC.
Both are quiet, have a slower pace and are reminiscent of what GC was like 20 years ago.

You can't blame the Caymanians for wanting progress and the wealth that goes with it, but at least they have left the sister islands pretty much alone so far.

Thanks for the review.

I've been to Little Cayman and the Brac many times, I was just commenting on Grand Cayman. The Brac too has changed as well as Little Cayman but not to the extent that Grand Cayman has.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom