Grand Cayman Trip Report - Feb, 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sand is overrated. Thats where the Sand fleas , Hook worm, and e coli live. Toughen your feet and walk the iron ore, there is more to see. Besides it gets in all the dive gear and clouds the water. Brac is best. :D

Back to the thread. I am short sight and follow the last post. Diving the Southeast wall on Brac is virgin territory. ALL of the times I've been there you'll be the only diver. Rough entry, spectacular underwater wall, huge lobster, crystal clear water. To me the wall itself doesn't have the corals or sponges like LC, but the undercuts and fissures are more extreme. It gets better as you go around the point. Tow a bouy, or you'll be hooked by the occasional fisherman. Some current after bad weather. Gives you the adventure diver feel, if you want resort type diving Grand Cayman is excellent. Dive boats don't go to the east end, weather usually is a factor, and the fuel isn't cheap. I think they would opt for the LC boat trip instead. For fun, swim out over the wall and wait for the tuna or wahoo to come by. I've also seen one Oceanic Whitetip and a large Hammerhead so the option for big critters exists. Normally I'll see nothing but deep blue. All of the dive pins on Brac are accessible from shore. Swim out, set buoy and enjoy. First come, first serve. The west end has longer swims but not that far. So for shore diving, Brac has it hands down over GC. Not sure about the shore diving in LC, it looks pretty accessible though.

the sea life is the same on all Cayman Reefs.

You won't be disappoint with any of the Sister Islands, Cheers

Back to the thread. I am short sight and follow the last post. Diving the Southeast wall on Brac is virgin territory. ALL of the times I've been there you'll be the only diver. Rough entry, spectacular underwater wall, huge lobster, crystal clear water. To me the wall itself doesn't have the corals or sponges like LC, but the undercuts and fissures are more extreme. It gets better as you go around the point. Tow a bouy, or you'll be hooked by the occasional fisherman. Some current after bad weather. Gives you the adventure diver feel, if you want resort type diving Grand Cayman is excellent. Dive boats don't go to the east end, weather usually is a factor, and the fuel isn't cheap. I think they would opt for the LC boat trip instead. For fun, swim out over the wall and wait for the tuna or wahoo to come by. I've also seen one Oceanic Whitetip and a large Hammerhead so the option for big critters exists. Normally I'll see nothing but deep blue. All of the dive pins on Brac are accessible from shore. Swim out, set buoy and enjoy. First come, first serve. The west end has longer swims but not that far. So for shore diving, Brac has it hands down over GC. Not sure about the shore diving in LC, it looks pretty accessible though.

the sea life is the same on all Cayman Reefs.

You won't be disappoint with any of the Sister Islands, Cheers
Thanks for your input. Can you do a compare/contrast to the shore dives on the east end of GC? For example, Old Man Bay area or Frank Sound? Thanks!

I think Cayman Brac diving on the east end is similar to the High Rock area of Grand Cayman. Both have the pinnacles, boulders and such.
Frank Sound on Grand Cayman is similar to the Public Beach area on south side Brac. Both have areas of beautiful shallow coral and short swims to the wall. Walls are very similar. Contact Testudo Guide(?) he has a blog about all the Grand Cayman snorkel sites. Pretty informative.When I get back to Grand, I am going to look for his secret snorkel spot with all the stag horn coral.

The biggest difference will be Grand Cayman sites will have more divers on them. More divers and more dive operators.

Grand Cayman has been getting a bad rap about its crime, but only a few areas in West Bay and Bodden town could be trouble. My friend in West Bay has to lock her car now, but she says it not bad at all. The news has been a bit exaggerated , use common sense. Brac has been getting it's own share of petty crimes on West End, so maybe Little Cayman? Safe travels

I think Cayman Brac diving on the east end is similar to the High Rock area of Grand Cayman. Both have the pinnacles, boulders and such.
Frank Sound on Grand Cayman is similar to the Public Beach area on south side Brac. Both have areas of beautiful shallow coral and short swims to the wall. Walls are very similar. Contact Testudo Guide(?) he has a blog about all the Grand Cayman snorkel sites. Pretty informative.When I get back to Grand, I am going to look for his secret snorkel spot with all the stag horn coral.

The biggest difference will be Grand Cayman sites will have more divers on them. More divers and more dive operators.

Grand Cayman has been getting a bad rap about its crime, but only a few areas in West Bay and Bodden town could be trouble. My friend in West Bay has to lock her car now, but she says it not bad at all. The news has been a bit exaggerated , use common sense. Brac has been getting it's own share of petty crimes on West End, so maybe Little Cayman? Safe travels
Thanks for the comparisons. The staghorn is plentiful and healthy on the shallow reefs in the Babylon area.

Back
Top Bottom