Grand Cayman - Tuesday, October 15th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martinjc

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi gang! Our family is going on a Disney Cruise to the Western Carribean in October. I would like to dive in Grand Cayman on October 15th, and am the only diver in the family. Disney is offering a 2 tank dive for $95, but I would prefer to go with a smaller group. What local shops are you familiar with on Grand Cayman through which I could arrange a 2 tank dive that day? I will be bringing all of my own equipment, except weights and tanks of course, and we are supposed to get into port at 7 AM. I'd like to go first thing in the morning, so I can still spend a good portion of teh day with my wife and kids. What do you think? I have been to Grand Cayman a couple of times, but I was only recently certified as a diver, so I have never looked into these options before. Let me know...Thanks!!

Just came back from Cayman last Thursday. I used Wall to Wall Diving. They have a large fast boat, max of 8 divers, and west side dives leave within walking distance from where the cruise ships dock. Really top notch service. The have a web site (www.walltowalldiving.com) that gives all of the info. They usuall leave at 8:00AM and are back by 11:30.

Thanks - I checked out their site - looks good. Anyone else have any experience with this operator? They seem fairly new - nothing wrong with that - just want to get as many opinions as I can. Any other suggestions out there???

Last October I tried to dive with Caymancase. She's a member of this board. Her dive operation is www.neptunesdivers.com
Our cruise ship couldn't get into Cayman because of the bad weather.
I hope you're much more luckier.
This year I booked my cruise for the first week in December. Hoping to get into Cayman then!

:gorgeous:

Thanks Natasha! I hope we have good weather too - especially since this will be our kids' first cruise experience! <S>

My kids have now been on two cruises. They love to cruise!
Kids now a days have it made, don't they? I never took a cruise until I was 30 years old. But this December will be my lucky '13'th cruise. I can't wait!

:gorgeous:

I was just talking to my daughter about this - I took my first airplane flight when I was in the 8th grade - she just turned 4 yrs old - and her second frequent flyer card came in mail the other day (she has been flying since she was 6 months old!)

Because of the time of your arrival you will miss most departures for morning dives, including the operator I work for. Disney is ripping people off at $95 per 2 tank dive. The average price here on the island is about $75US. This includes boat, tanks and weights. You'll get a better deal having your own gear. I personally know Giles over at Wall to Wall and he runs a great operation with small groups. I would check his times because he moors his boat next to mine and we both leave about the same time, 7:30ish.

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Chris

You might also want to try Fisheye. My wife and I have used them on 2 different trips and they usually will pick up/drop off as well. They also allow free use of a camera if you buy a role of film from their shop. Their website is www.fisheye.com

Have a great trip!

Another cheaper option but still very nice dive sites is two shore dives. The reef by Bob Soto's is a good dive with lots of tarpen around and then you can get a taxi down to the turtle farm dive spot which is a nice shore dive also. Just have the driver come back about an hour and 15 minutes after he/she drops you off at the turtle farm and your golden. Just a cheaper alternative if your interested. Bob Soto's may even give you the ride to the turtle farm and back for free if they are not busy at the time and you rent the tanks and weights from them. They are pretty friendly folks there.

Back
Top Bottom