Gratuities in Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbles below

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Bula!
I'm staying a week in the mainland for some diving and a week in Beqa Lagoon Resort in the spring. I read the Fijian aren't accustomed to gratuities. At Beqa Lagoon you leave the gratuities for their Xmas Funds. What do I do for the mainland dives and land tours?
At Beqa Lagoon, I was thinking of splitting my gratuities for the Christmas Fund and for the kids school funds. I hope that would be appropriate.
Any input would be greatly appreciated since it's my 1st time in Fiji.
Vitaka!

Smile, relax, enjoy the wonderful Fijian hospitality... Tipping not routine in Fiji (and this part of the world!).

I went to Beqa Lagoon a number of years ago, and my wife and I got there via a two hour prepaid, predawn taxi ride from the airport. We had been told ahead of time that tipping was only for truly extraordinary service. During the two hour ride, our driver did an outstanding job of telling us about the island and its customs. We asked a lot of questions, and he gave great answers. By the time we got to Beqa Lagoon, it was like we were old friends. He carried our luggage into our room and was helpful in other ways. I cannot imagine how he could possibly have done a better job, so I figured it must have been extraordinary. I tipped him 10% of our prepaid taxi fair.

I thought he was going to faint. "Is this all for me?" he asked, his eyes wide with wonder. I learned later that I had tipped him a typical day's pay.

I learned that taxi drivers do not expect tips.They provide that extraordinary service because they do not want you to ask for "a taxi" the next time you want a ride. They want you to ask for a specific driver.

That is the way the economy is set up there. Tips are not part of the income planning. It would be great if all countries were like that, so it is best to avoid bringing that unfortunate custom into a place that is now free of it.

I stayed in Beqa Lagoon Resort this April. Instead of tipping maid or DM on daily basis, on last night before departure, I left tips in the Christmas Funds box located in office.

I was told the tips will be equally divided to all staffs in the resort. During your stay, when you visit schools in village, you will have chance to give school kids educational funds after enjoying their songs and dances.

Bula!
I'm staying a week in the mainland for some diving and a week in Beqa Lagoon Resort in the spring. I read the Fijian aren't accustomed to gratuities. At Beqa Lagoon you leave the gratuities for their Xmas Funds. What do I do for the mainland dives and land tours?
At Beqa Lagoon, I was thinking of splitting my gratuities for the Christmas Fund and for the kids school funds. I hope that would be appropriate.
Any input would be greatly appreciated since it's my 1st time in Fiji.
Vitaka!
I Recently stayed at the Garden Island Resort on Taveuni Island Fiji, an area that had been hit hard by a cyclone last December. Tips by American divers were and are absolutely critical to help rebuild the local community. The traditional gift is kava ,the national drink. 2 Fijian dollars a bag. Please Tip If you are happy with the service.

Bula and a big smile is all that is required!!!

Do not tip in Fiji, you're in their country you follow their local customs which is no tipping. Put it in the Christmas fund which is what they do there.

Tips by American divers were and are absolutely critical to help rebuild the local community. The traditional gift is kava ,the national drink. 2 Fijian dollars a bag. Please Tip If you are happy with the service.

I think thats stretching the feelgood vibes a bit far there - US Divers do not make up the majority of tourists to Fiji by a long way, Fiji's recovery after the frequent cyclones does not critically depend on the US diver - we Aussies who are a mere 3 hours flight away contribute a lot more in tourism revenue. Australian and New Zealand aid to Fiji post cyclones has always been instant and generous.

Please dont force your tipping culture on yet another country who doesn't need or want it.

Please dont force your tipping culture on yet another country who doesn't need or want it.

Agreed. Read up on just how well tipping works for the economy in the US (hint: not very). It is a broken system, and should not be introduced to societies which work well without it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom