Great Airfare via Singapore from Los Angeles to Manado

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlanWald

Contributor
Reaction score
Great Airfare via Singapore Los Angeles (LAX) to Manado, North Sulawesi, Indonesia)-

I just paid US$1124 at the Singapore Airlines web site for a roundtrip from Los Angeles (LAX) to Manado (MDC) via Singapore (with stop at Narita, Tokyo) on Singapore Airlines (SQ) and their subsidiary Silk Air (MI).

You must leave US by March 31, 2007 but can stay as long as six months. The same flight on Cheap Tickets, Travelocity and Expedia was about US$1350, US$1550 and US$1750. I even saw it listed for US$4,000 (yes for Economy class). No frequent flier miles.

Don't know how long this will last. It was a better price than my friend who is VP of a gigantic travel agent could get wholesale.

Also for LAX to Bonaire for October on American Airlines, priced dropped suddenly from about US$905 to US$611 (already posted this on ABC Islands section)

Hey, Alan... appreciate your postings of these fares. Thanks!

Damn! . . .I paid that much for a Philippine Airlines round trip fare from Manila to Singapore (this past December Holiday Season). . .

I appears that Singapore Air always has the best rates when booking directly on their website. I experience the same thing. I am leaving in 2 weeks from NY-Frankfurt-Singapore-Manado for $1,180.

They key to good fares is keep checking - and look at the fare rules for different time periods until you find the low season, if you can catch the end of the low season like I did or beginning of low season this can save you a lot of money. And let us all know if you find something good.

I am predicting mid-September 2007 (having done the flight at this time in 2004, 2005 and 2006) for the LAX-Manado route to return to low season/off peak.

Remember these seasons reflect general weather and holidays, not necessarily dive conditions. Take into account those unique busy travel periods in countries other than your own and certain blackout periods that may be aimed at other nations than the one you originate in or a going to.

Notice that TRAVEL IS NOT PERMITTED 01JAN07 THROUGH 08JAN07 . Does anyone know why?

Also a nuance to notice is that as long as I departed (OUTBOUND) by March 31 (Low Season/off peak) I can return during high season.

Often mid-week is cheaper (this applies domestically also) and Friday/Saturday is the most expensive.

How many seats are available at these "wholesale" prices and for how long is anyone's guess, so be flexible, and if you are named Jack, you should already be nimble and quick.

My flight had these fare rule and restrictions
Fare Basis Code QLMETPA
Seasonality
FOR LOW/OFF-PEAK SEASON FARES FOR OUTBOUND TRAVEL PERMITTED 02JAN07 THROUGH 31MAR07 ON EACH TRIP. OR PERMITTED 13SEP06 THROUGH 20NOV06 ON EACH TRIP.
Sales Restrictions
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/AFTER 13SEP06 AND ON/BEFORE 31MAR07.
Blackout Period
TRAVEL IS NOT PERMITTED 01JAN07 THROUGH 08JAN07.
Maximum Stay
6 MONTHS
Day Applicability
FOR OUTBOUND TRAVEL TRAVEL PERMITTED ON MON/TUE/WED/THU/SUN. RESTRICTION APPLIES TO THE DEPARTURE OF THE ORIGINATING FLIGHT OF EACH FARE COMPONENT.

I just got myself a return ticket from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to Bali for $0.00 !!!

Yes the fare was $0.00 !!. I only had to pay the airport taxes which amounted to approx $45.00. Air Asia gave away a million flights for $0.00 for travel between Kuala Lumpur to various destinations in asia ; including many dive destinations such as Bali, Phuket, Tawau (Sipadan) etc.

So another posiible cheap route to various Asian destinations would be to get on a cheap flight to KL and connect from there.

I got BOS-JFK-FRA-SIN-MCD for 1630 leaving any thursday and coming home any saturday from march to august.. not a bad deal considering you are travelling almost 12000 miles and the diving is rather inexpensive compared to the caribbean.

EDIT: got 1431 for same itinerary in mid september as AlanWard was predicting

SIN-MDC silkair flies only Mon, Fri, and Sat. so watch out for the connection. otherwise, you will be stuck in Sing for a few days!
BTW, best time to dive in Manado (Bunaken side) is from Apr - Sep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom