Great Barrier Reef for 3 nights - input please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octoginger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have never been to AU and an opportunity to go in a week landed in my lap several hours ago. I am going and hope to dive the GBR. I've been googling and searching for hours and have just gotten more confused. I want to dive for two days, have my day before flight day and then head to the western coast. Can anyone recommend the best place to fly into for GBR diving and perhaps suggest a dive shop? I'm AOW, 50-ish dives and traveling solo. Thanks in advance!

Which part are you confused on?

I think Cairns is the most common launching point to the GBR. It's fairly easy to get to and there's lots of other things to do, and lots of dive options. The area they mostly dive from Cairns on day trips or short liveaboards is called the Outer Reef. It is indeed out there a distance, but I think the name makes it sounds more remote and special than it is - it's just what that section of the reef out from Cairns is called. Sort of opposite of remote, as far as the GBR goes. There are dayboats, also liveaboards of sorts that stay out there that you can kind of treat as a hotel - stay 1 night, 2 nights, whatever. There's short 2 night liveaboards that leave from Cairns directly rather than doing transfers. I think you have to look at your flight options and timing of trips and go for the longest thing you can squeeze in. (We actually did a similar thing, squeezed a few days of diving into a business trip and were very constrained on when we could play, having lots of options is helpful.)

GBR diving gets better the further north you go from Cairns. The best bet for diving would be to take a 3 (or more :) night liveaboard if you can manage it, which can get further north, or even to the Coral Sea. We did a liveaboard from Cairns, and finished up in the Outer Reef area when returning - I was not impressed. Short trips from Cairns will have you technically diving the GBR, you'll get wet and see stuff, but it might not be what you are expecting after seeing tourism pictures of what is/was probably the best of the GBR.

Also there's the whole coral bleaching thing in recent years - the area from Cairns for a good distance north was some of the hardest hit, I have no idea of the real current status of things.

Yeah, you're right, it's confusing. :)

If I were going there now and trying to work in a couple days of diving, I might check what is available from other towns - probably Port Douglas (perhaps SilverSonic?) , and maybe Townsville or Ayr (to dive the Yongala.) Or I'd look for an island resort with good diving (like the suggested Heron Island.) Again, you'll have to see what you can squeeze in timing-wise, may be trickier with fewer flight options to places that are less populated or less touristy.

You could go even further south, like Brisbane/Gold Coast. But it's not technically the GBR, and the water won't be as warm as you're getting into a more temperate region. (Do you have a preference on water temps?) A bit further south still is Byron Bay, which I've heard some good things about.

And if my final destination were on the west coast (you don't say where, I'm guessing Perth?) I might look into diving out there instead, supposed to be some good stuff. Perhaps Ningaloo Reef. Again, might not be quite as warm as some of the East Coast options, but depends what you want. Mostly, I would not get hung up on "diving the GBR", but on getting in the best Australian diving you can work into your travel. Might be GBR, but might not be.

Which part are you confused on?

I think Cairns is the most common launching point to the GBR. It's fairly easy to get to and there's lots of other things to do, and lots of dive options. The area they mostly dive from Cairns on day trips or short liveaboards is called the Outer Reef. It is indeed out there a distance, but I think the name makes it sounds more remote and special than it is - it's just what that section of the reef out from Cairns is called. Sort of opposite of remote, as far as the GBR goes. There are dayboats, also liveaboards of sorts that stay out there that you can kind of treat as a hotel - stay 1 night, 2 nights, whatever. There's short 2 night liveaboards that leave from Cairns directly rather than doing transfers. I think you have to look at your flight options and timing of trips and go for the longest thing you can squeeze in. (We actually did a similar thing, squeezed a few days of diving into a business trip and were very constrained on when we could play, having lots of options is helpful.)

GBR diving gets better the further north you go from Cairns. The best bet for diving would be to take a 3 (or more :) night liveaboard if you can manage it, which can get further north, or even to the Coral Sea. We did a liveaboard from Cairns, and finished up in the Outer Reef area when returning - I was not impressed. Short trips from Cairns will have you technically diving the GBR, you'll get wet and see stuff, but it might not be what you are expecting after seeing tourism pictures of what is/was probably the best of the GBR.

Also there's the whole coral bleaching thing in recent years - the area from Cairns for a good distance north was some of the hardest hit, I have no idea of the real current status of things.

Yeah, you're right, it's confusing. :)

If I were going there now and trying to work in a couple days of diving, I might check what is available from other towns - probably Port Douglas (perhaps SilverSonic?) , and maybe Townsville or Ayr (to dive the Yongala.) Or I'd look for an island resort with good diving (like the suggested Heron Island.) Again, you'll have to see what you can squeeze in timing-wise, may be trickier with fewer flight options to places that are less populated or less touristy.

You could go even further south, like Brisbane/Gold Coast. But it's not technically the GBR, and the water won't be as warm as you're getting into a more temperate region. (Do you have a preference on water temps?) A bit further south still is Byron Bay, which I've heard some good things about.

And if my final destination were on the west coast (you don't say where, I'm guessing Perth?) I might look into diving out there instead, supposed to be some good stuff. Perhaps Ningaloo Reef. Again, might not be quite as warm as some of the East Coast options, but depends what you want. Mostly, I would not get hung up on "diving the GBR", but on getting in the best Australian diving you can work into your travel. Might be GBR, but might not be.

Thank you so very much! Yes, Perth is my final destination. Now that I read your reply, I agree that that I shouldn't get hung up on diving GBR. I was looking at liveaboards late into the night and between the days and the cost and all the various reviews. Oy. I like warmer water as after 5 days of multiple dives I can't seem to get warm no matter what I do but I don't have enough time for that here. Bring on the colder water. :) I might just go to Ningaloo for a couple of days and not stress about the GBR. Many thanks for your thoughtful reply! Much appreciated!

I've dived the reef a few times. Cairns is where the main white boats leave from the reef. I agree with the last poster try and get further out think potato cod, outer ribbon reefs, lizard island maybe. The cheaper liveaboards are OK, and worth a mention as are the day boats (or were 5 years ago), the water is shallower, more sands =less vis.
Perth?ningaloo reef if you can get there, def. worth a look, whale sharks!!

I've made multiple trips to the GBR, starting at Heron Island in 1975; most recent to Port Douglas in 2016. Given your situation, I would fly to Cairns; rent car; drive to Port Douglas; take day boats from Port Douglas to the ribbon reefs (Poseidon; Quicksilver; smaller boats also available). My favorite accoms in Port Douglas is the Thala Beach Nature Reserve, but there are lots of options. And I would dive in Perth, too.

The boats out of port Douglas?arnt they mainly day boats? Quicky has 2 Aluminum cats that leave pry Douglas around 11- 1 leaves each day, not really for diving they jet out to the pontoons and leave the pontoons at around one, and a yacht I think goes to green island (?) The main liveaboards leave cairns piers. Quicky runs prodive in cairns (5star career center). The boats out of cairns will meet up with motherships at the various dive sites along the reef. I've personally dived with live aboards with deep divers den (cod hole /ribbon reef 10 dives- awesome)and I've done day trips with quicksilver 3 dives in a day, you'll get a taste of the hard and soft corals and marine life, maybe turtles and reef sharks, beautiful. The smaller companies are worth it as well (cairns dive centre etc)

From the research I've done GBR is either a LOB or SS Yongala. The latter is in the marine park and sits ~midway to the reef. Its marine life is amazing.

To be honest, if you have such short time, I would go out and dive the Yongala for 2 or 3 full days. It’s an amazing wreck and large that needs multiple days to enjoy it. If you had a short amount of time and could swing it, a liveaboard to the outer reef (4 days) would be ideal. That is where the reef is in better condition. You could fly to Lizard Island then head our to the Ribbon Reefs and Coral Sea/Osprey back to Cairns.

I dove the GBR back in 2001 with Deep Sea Diver's Den in Cairns. They had day and multi-day trips out to their liveaboards on the outer reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom