Great Barrier Reef - Weather at this time of year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangeBloke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi,
a fairly simple question, does anyone know what the weather is like out on the great barrier reef at this time of year? i.e. what will the temperatures be like and how likely are storms.
I'm heading out on a five day live aboard there in two weeks so any help would be useful

Thanks
OB

It's pretty long. The temp will be warmer the further north you go. It's winter at this time of year, but it should still be mid to high 20's and also up to 30 around Townsville and Cairns. The live aboard will also be cooler as you won't be on land. Temps should be similiar to you in Singapore up north. There are also more storms coming north from Antarctica, but they tend to swing right at the top of NSW and curl around towards NZ and shouldn't affect the northern areas much.
Cheers ears,
The Gasman

Grand, thanks and good news on the storms, won't have to worry about bouncing about an reshaping bulkheads with my head :hithead:

Cheers

Queensland is great, I've been there during this time of year.

The monsoon season is usually around December to March.

So what is the ideal time to dive Great Barrier Reef? I am thinking of visiting a friend in Sydney sometimes next year and like to take the opportunity to dive if possible. So as far as visibility, current and the wave are concerned, when would it be the ideal time? I don't get seasick quite as easily as when I was younger but still prefer calmer sea/ocean if I can.

Mike Ball charters. This is a company that runs live aboards and day trips to the reef and local wrecks out of Cairns and they should be able to give you the local weather patterns and best diving times as it is their business to know. Also look at the Queensland torurism office and they can link you to other locations. As far as sea-sickness goes, there are permanently anchored floating dive pontoons on the reef itself and you can go out by catamarans (better for the guts) and stay out there all day or overnight and dive from a secure location. There is just the problem of being heavily used, so if your looking for less traffic and more pristine places, then the charter co's will be better. They get a high number of tourists from Asia who are always there in large groups, so booking may be necessary.

Cheers Ears,
The Gasman

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for the tip on where to find the info.

Arrived home nearly a week ago, the weather in Cairns was cloudy for the first two days then it was sunny for the next two weeks. It did rain (in the rainforest). Our whole trip was sunshine and flat seas in the Coral Sea on "Diversity" (a Quicksilver liveaboard). I would say in the mid to upper 80s and never dropped below 70. Port Douglas was beautiful.
Hope your weather is the same.
Dive Safe,
Caymaniac :)

You may want to check out the Australian Bureau of Meterology site:

http://www.bom.gov.au/

As for weather here around Cairns, it's been quite rainy recently and top temp on land has been around 26C.

About a month ago, I'd booked to dive the Yongala off Townsville but that was cancelled on the day because of heavy wind (and there's been a few windy days since).

Hopefully, you'll hit a good patch when you're on the liveaboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom