Great book on GPOs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sintax604

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just finished reading a book entitled "Super Suckers: The Giant Pacific Octopus and Other Cephalopods of the Pacific Coast" by James Cosgrove and Neil McDaniel. I thoroughly enjoyed it and learned a lot about GPOs - I knew they were cool but had no idea how intelligent and interesting they were.

Does anybody have suggestions for other good books like this that focus on a specific creature or group of creatures that are found in our waters?

Super Suckers: The Giant Pacific Octopus and Other Cephalopods of the Pacific Coast: Amazon.ca: Cosgrove James A., Neil McDaniel: Books

I can't answer your question, but thank you for posting about this book -- looks like something I would like to read!

Can't help you either, I just like finding them :D:D:D

1_03766.jpg

a19.jpg

Does anybody have suggestions for other good books like this that focus on a specific creature or group of creatures that are found in our waters?
Looks like there was a thread started just yesterday about the possibility of a SB book review forum. The more folk who post their support the better the chances of the thread being created.

Thanks for the heads-up Cram!

Mike, those are some awesome shots! Where did you find that guy?

Two different octos though in theory they could be the same but the pics were taken on two different days. Caufield was the site.

Hi Scott,
I read that book too, great shots and info.
The best overall book I've found for our region is Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest by Andy Lamb and Bernard Hanby.Harbour Publishing - Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest
I have a copy and will lend it to you the next time we meet up if you want.

Hi Scott,
I read that book too, great shots and info.
The best overall book I've found for our region is Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest by Andy Lamb and Bernard Hanby.Harbour Publishing - Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest
I have a copy and will lend it to you the next time we meet up if you want.

Don't forget Andy's other book Harbour Publishing - Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest

Because it's paperback and relatively small, you can keep it in a ziplok style of bag and then keep it in your dive bag for easy access immediately after the dive.

FWIW when I talked to Andy last week he highly recommended "Super Suckers" for anyone that is interested in the GPO and others of that ilk. You can't go wrong with a west coast critter book written by Cosgrove and McDaniel.

Scott, whats that mind boggling number from the part about commercial harvesting. A one day total from around Campbell River. I just glanced through it at the LDS but did'nt buy with Christmas so close.

Scott, whats that mind boggling number from the part about commercial harvesting. A one day total from around Campbell River. I just glanced through it at the LDS but did'nt buy with Christmas so close.

I believe it was 400 octos but I could be wrong - I returned the book to the library already.

Thanks for the Andy Lamb suggestions - isn't it a requirement that before you're allowed to carry a c-card you have to own those books? I'm looking for books that are more text and less pictures... more behavioural stuff. I got my hands on a marine biology text book a while back but it was heavy on the jargon and light on specifics for critters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom