Great Computer or Great Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the same thought. Then I realized that the most important this was the ability to breath easily. I blew my budget on an Atomic Z2 reg set and cheaped out on a computer (Atmos XR1) which is available at DiversDirect for $189. I can always come back and buy a better computer

get the reg...but i've got the titan regulator and its a work hourse. i get it serviced every year or so, and i've never had any complaints with it.

Like a few others have said the Titan is a great reg and will meet most if not all your diving needs. My question is why did you buy it in the first place if you don't want to dive it? There is nothing wrong with the Titan...by the same token there is nothing wrong with a Legend or Apeks series reg either but will cost more. For the conditions you mention the Titan will perform well and there is little to worry about. Unless its an issue of keeping up with the Jones' and showing how much you can afford to spend (in which case you may want to look at the Atomic T2) I would look at your specific diving requirements and whether YOU need anything other than the Titan you currently have. I would dive it...if it then fails to meet your expectations then you can allways sell it and purchase another regulator. I think you'll enjoy the Titan...don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because you spend more money on a regulator its going to perform that much better for you...it may or it may not. Just because it performs better on a test machine doesn't mean you will notice the difference yourself and the additional money spent could be much more noticable than the difference in performance.

As far as dive computers...you need to look around and see what options you need vs want. Do you dive NITROX, or do you plan on doing deep deco TRI-MIX wreck dives? Those questions and others will help to narrow down your computer options.

Have fun...that's why we dive to begin with.

I love my Aqualung Titan reg. Everyplace we have gone, we've been complimented on having made a good price/value decision. The water where I dive varies from 45 to 55 degrees, and I have had ONE freeflow, and the cause of that wasn't clear. The reg was serviced and nothing wrong was found, and I really doubt it was freezing up because neither air nor water temperatures were very low that day. The reg breathes as well as my Scubapro MK25/S600s do, at least down to 130 feet.

If keeping the Titan allows you to get other gear you want, I see NO reason to take it back and spend a lot more money on a "fancier" regulator.

Bob_B:
get the best reg can and use a good bottom timer. The best dive computer around is attached to your neck....

How'd you know I bungie my dive computer to my neck?:D

Seriously, reg first then computer.

IMO I would say the regulator is fine with the temps you listed. For me the only thing I require on any reg I own is the Environmental Kit option if it's not already that way.

It's more than merely temperature, it's that I dive in water that's not very clean as well as water where the temps can get into the mid 30s. However, depending on usage your reg is fine.

I got all my other gear first and got my computer last after about 20 dives or so and getting sick of not having a timer and such.

The Titan is supposed to be a really good reg. Price is right too. The LX I think is more of the cold water version, so I would have opted for that.
I used it in classes already and thought it was so so IMO, but then again Im sure it was beat to hell. But a new one would have been great.

Anyway, the Suunto computers I have seen are very conservative. I was gonna get one too, but then saw on a deep dive in mexico, the Suunto guys's computers were wacking out and telling them to jump up to like 40ft from 130 or so. Where the other peoples' were fine and still had some time left down there.
That turned me off from Suunto.
I ended up with a Aeris Atmos2 for a steal, They are under $200 right now and great reviews on them. I havent gotten to dive with it yet though to base my opinions on it. It looks straight forward though

As many others have stated, the Titan is a perfectly decent reg.
As for computers, frankly I’d prefer a Gekko over a Cobra regardless of price. Air integration isn’t something I see as having much value (for me, anyway), and I have more faith in the reliability of a regular analog pressure gauge versus one built into a computer.

My 2 cents

I agree the Titan's performance is more than adequate for recreational depths and is an extremely durable reg. If you are looking at a Cobra, however, I'd recommend checking out the Sherwood Wisdom or the Aeris Atmos AI. They aren't nearly so conservative and have significantly larger displays. Better yet, just get a basic hockey puck that maybe is nitrox capable and spend the rest of the cash diving (Aeris XR2, Genesis ReacPro). You can mount it on the console, wrist, hose, or retractor. Experiment with it a little before committing to something more expensive that you may or may not like. Just a thought. (shrug)

You should get a good value reg that will meet your present and future needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom