Great Dive Op in Kailua-Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got back from a great trip to Oahu and the Big Island, where I had a wonderful diving experience with ScubaBoard's own Friscuba, also known as Steve.

Steve runs a small, personalized operation called Wanna Dive http://www.wanna-dive-kona.com. He has his own boat and specializes in small groups (6 and under if I recall), a great relief after the cattle boats of Wakiki. We went with him for regular dives and also the famous night time "manta dive", which was an absolute MUST DO!

Unlike the heinous cattle boat dive I endured off Wakiki, Steve allowed us to dive until our tank read 500 (as opposed to 1500 in Wakiki). One of my dives was 80 minutes long, limited more by the fact I was freezing cold than running low on air. WOO HOO!!!

Steve's current DM, Bob, appearance-wise a great combination of the Buddha and Hunter S Thompson, with a personality more in line with the Buddha. He is a patient, meticulous, knowledgable and observant DM, who takes care of his divers without smothering them. He pointed out all kinds of underwater life, writing out the creatures' name on his little underwater pad.

Steve's boat was smaller than the other huge dive boats I saw packed with people, but definately much larger than boats I've taken from Cozumel. It has ample, ample space for the 6 diver groups he takes out, including below deck space and a nice, covered sitting area.

Steve also brought sandwiches and drinks along for our surface interval. Steve's service and what I endured in Wakiki could not have been more different!!! I cannot say enough good about Wanna-Dive!!!

Thanks for sharing info on a great operation on Kona!

BTW, what operation did you dive with in Waikiki that was so bad?

Regards,

Gary

Steve is not only professional and gives great service, he's just a super nice guy.

in Wakiki my previous arrangements fell through, and the person I had made palns with referred me, for some perverse reason, to a guy called Max Brunk, DBA Manini Dive Company Hawaii. I wouldn't be suprised if he used to sell used cars before taking up diving. He used every trick in the book for ripping off a dive, plus was brutal to the octopuses and rough with me as well!

Pamela

Next time I dive in Wakiki I'm going with JustLeesa!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom