Great Dive Shop on Kauai (South Shore)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove with Bubbles Below in November 10 they are located in Port Allen about a 15 minute drive from Poipu. They were fantastic. You will also get the chance to go to Ni'ihau and the Napali coast which are the best dives on the island. Linda and the rest of the people there are great.

Tunnels a shore dive? SeaSport and Fathom Five both run their boats to that site from Koloa area Harbor. Its is a few hundred yards. It could be done from shore, but with 3' to 4' rollers, I would not try it. Not to mention warm water to spray in your wetsuit and a quick run back to the docks to use the bathroom is mighty convenient.

The Koloa landing is a shore dive, and an excellent one if I might say. Many endemic species and shallow enough to get well over 60 minutes per tank.

I like all the outfits I dove with, but I can say that when something wasn't right, Fathom Five worked their tails off to make things better and did a great job. But I had a chance to meet most of the folks at most of the dive shops and they are all professional and skilled. There is a lot of competition on the island, they all do well. My favorite was Fathom Five because of the personal service.

Linda & the Bubbles Below folks are great; I have been diving with them for nearly thirty years, since she started the business with her (now ex-) husband. Small operator with a huge eco-friendly attitude and a tremendous knowledge of the seas around Hawaii. You don't typically find that with the younger staff at other dive centers.

We've referred many divers to her on their vacations and get nothing but positive feedback from them.

I dove with Bubbles Below in November 10 they are located in Port Allen about a 15 minute drive from Poipu. They were fantastic. You will also get the chance to go to Ni'ihau and the Napali coast which are the best dives on the island.
The OP has 18 dives - I think Ni'ihau is a bit of stretch for someone with her experience level...
Tunnels a shore dive? SeaSport and Fathom Five both run their boats to that site from Koloa area Harbor. Its is a few hundred yards. It could be done from shore, but with 3' to 4' rollers, I would not try it.
Not sure what Tunnels you're talking about (maybe Sheraton Caverns?) but the Tunnels dive site is off Kauai's North shore.
Directions: On the North coast on Highway 560, around mile mark 8.5, you'll see access roads heading off to the beach.
http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Kauai/Tunnels_Reef/index.htm

AquamanKauai (Anthony) is a member here. He recommended his shop Seasports, Bubbles Below and Fathom
then he procedded to tell me all about the boats and differences, said I can't go wrong with any of them....then gave me contact numbers for all the shops, offered to be my DM on a dive if I like. After about 2 weeks of answering all my questions I choose to dive with him next month.
I felt like I knew someone...send him a PM he's very helpfull.

Tunnels a shore dive? SeaSport and Fathom Five both run their boats to that site from Koloa area Harbor. Its is a few hundred yards. It could be done from shore, but with 3' to 4' rollers, I would not try it. Not to mention warm water to spray in your wetsuit and a quick run back to the docks to use the bathroom is mighty convenient.

I did the same thing in my post - I have not done Tunnels (we went over to the Princeville side where Tunnels is) and it's quite the drive from the Poipu area, and would take most of the day) but SHERATON CAVERNS is an amazing dive, but not reachable from shore unless you're an ironman/woman. It is also a must do night dive if you get the chance!

Have Fun!

I think someone was kind enough to correct themselves already - but "yes" tunnels is a north shore dive that is exclusively dove from shore. It is a great spot for sure but can have very strong currents and should be led by a guide. There is only one appropriate area to enter and the dive from that point is down current (when current is present). Travelling through the lava formations and hugging the walls is it common to not even be aware of the current until you are turning around to return to the entry/exit area. Current picks up quickly during tide changes there and can lead to challenging (or worse) situations. This is especially true when diving the outer reef and returning half way through the dive.

Anyway, PLEASE FEEL FREE (anyone) to drop me a message at any point that you have any questions about diving on Kauai. I'll certainly help out to the best of my abilities.

Have a amazing day ! HOPE IT INCLUDES DIVING!!

Anthony

I dove with Sea Sport in Poipu. GREAT DIVING all around. We had Sabine and Nohi as our guides on two seperte days. I would dive with them anyday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom