Great dive vacation in St. Lucia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

islanddream

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On April 20, 2018, five of us from SE Florida arrived on the beautiful island of St. Lucia. None of us had been there before to dive (one person had a cruise ship stop many years ago). After reading reviews on SB and other forums, we decided St. Lucia was a dive destination not to be missed....and were we happy with our decision.

Getting there: We flew on Delta from Palm Beach International airport with a layover in Atlanta. Not including the layover, the flight was a bit more than six hours. We chose Delta because the airfare was reasonable. Upon arriving at Hewanorra airport we were met by our driver from All St. Lucia Tours and Rentals. We didn't want to rent a vehicle and only wanted an airport transfer to the condo we rented in the north part of the island. Hewanorra is located at the very south part of the island and it took about an hour and twenty minutes to get to the condo. When I set up the transportation, I made sure to let the company know we had five people with dive bags, suitcases, and carry-ons. They sent a very nice large van to pick us up. The driver was wonderful and pointed out interesting sites along the way. He also stopped us at a grocery store in Rodney Bay to do some initial food shopping.

Condo: The five of us travel together and we prefer a condo to a hotel room. I'm the main travel planner and do a lot of research on houses, condos, villas, etc. available on VRBO or Home Away. We are made up of two couples and one single. We enjoy cooking our meals and sitting around together after dinner looking at downloaded pictures/videos from the days dives, comparing dive notes, and reliving great memories from the day. There were no grocery stores or restaurants close to where our condo was located, so doing our own thing worked out great. We stayed in an area called Gros Islet and rented Villa Carouge in Cap Estates. It had air conditioning, three bedrooms with very comfortable beds, 3.5 bathrooms, a dining room, living room, large outside patio with BBQ and a plunge pool, a washer and dryer, dishwasher, and was fully loaded with all the kitchen dinnerware/utensils/pots and pans/etc. It was clean and well appointed. We'll definitely stay there again!

Diving: After doing research, I chose Dive Saint Lucia as the shop for us. (www.divesaintlucia.com) I initially contacted them in October 2017 regarding how far the dive shop was from the condo we were renting. My main contact person who answered most of the numerous emails was Tanya. She was prompt in returning emails and very pleasant. I was so excited to meet her in person. She's is wonderful! So sweet and personable as are all the employees at Dive Saint Lucia.
The dive shop: I don't think I've ever been to a dive shop as neat and clean as this one. Everything from the gear room to the retail area to the pool to the bathrooms were absolutely spotless. The employees are very efficient and had everything ready for us the first day we walked in the door. Transportation to/from the dive shop was provided at no additional cost except a tip for the driver. I believe if you stay within a certain radius of the dive shop, transportation is provided. Paperwork was completed effortlessly. The owner of the dive shop is Swiss and everything runs on time!
The dive boats: The boats are large and can accommodate up to 30 divers (we never had that many). The boats are spotless. There is a covered area to keep out of the elements. There's an upper deck that's only covered over the captain, but it's a great place to sit and take in the view. Clean towels were provided each day. A hot lunch was also provided each day between dives. Fresh fruit was provided after the second dive. Our gear was already set up when we arrived on the boat. Wetsuits were cleaned and hung up and on the boat in the morning. The five of us took our regs, cameras, computers, and masks back to the condo with us for a proper cleaning each day.
Dive Masters/Instructors: There were always multiple dive masters/instructors on the boat and we were pretty much grouped according to ability. ALL of them were personable, knowledgeable, and friendly. The first day of two-tank dives were at sites that weren't very deep or challenging. We were being observed to see what kind of divers we were. In the seven days of diving, we only experienced one day where we felt some of the people on the dives shouldn't have been in the group. Their skills were lacking and the dive master could see that. So he pretty much hung with those divers and let us do our own thing (although we were never very far from him). By far, our favorite dive master/instructor was Tanya. She could find great macro subjects! She's a lovely, funny, and interesting lady. We loved diving with her! She saw we are divers who like to take our time and not go speeding through the dive. We love all kinds of dives, including muck dives, where many times we saw interesting creatures.
Reefs: The reef system is beautiful. We saw everything from pitons coming out of the water to shallow grassy areas. There are sites with huge boulders that have broken away from the steep cliffs on the island. They are so fun to dive over and around. I don't think I've been any place where I've seen so many HUGE sponges! The barrel sponges were awesome! The underwater topography is gorgeous. We did dive the Lesleen M. Wreck which was fun and was covered with lots of corals, sponges, etc. with many tropical fish swimming around. All of the dive sites we did were south of Rodney Bay. The sites north tend to be less dived due to the currents and the meeting up of the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. One thing we missed seeing was the big marine life that we see in SE Florida. We didn't see sharks, big rays, big groupers, and only saw two turtles. However, the underwater scenery is beautiful, the current was calm (for most dives), and the water was clear. Would we go back....you bet we would and we'd definitely dive with Dive Saint Lucia!

Glad to see your review. St. Lucia is one of those places spoken well of that seems a little off the grid somehow. Wonder if it should get more consideration against other destinations?

How many dives? Do you have a list of site names you hit? How did total trip cost compare to other places you’ve been?

Glad to see your review. St. Lucia is one of those places spoken well of that seems a little off the grid somehow. Wonder if it should get more consideration against other destinations?

How many dives? Do you have a list of site names you hit? How did total trip cost compare to other places you’ve been?

We each did 14 dives over the seven days we had to dive. Here are the sites we visited:
Day 1: Superman's Flight and Key Hole Pinnacles
Day 2: Anse La Ray Wall and Lesleen M Wreck
Day 3: Fairyland and Turtle Reef
Day 4: Lesleen M Wreck and Anse Couchan
Day 5: Fantasia and Grand Cay
Day 6: Fantasia and Grand Cay
Day 7: Anse Shore North and Anse Shore South

This trip was a little less expensive than our Cozumel trip last October when we rented a condo at the El Cantil and went diving with Aldora. I'd have to dig back in my records for a couple other places like St. Croix and Bonaire to see the difference in price.

St. Lucia is a bit off the grid but it sure is worth visiting. The island is the most tropical island I've ever been to, and it's lush and beautiful. The airfare is a bit expensive compared to other places we've been. Because we stayed in the condo, we didn't eat out except for one night. However, the lunch on the boat is authentic St. Lucian food and by all accounts, delicious and plentiful. The prices at the grocery store are high, and I'm sure that's due to the fact that so much of their food has to be shipped in. But looking at what we spent on groceries versus going out to breakfast and dinner everyday, we saved money by doing our own meals.

St. Lucia is definitely worth considering for a dive vacation. BTW, all five of us are fairly experienced divers with the least number of dives being around 450 dives to the highest being over 2,000 dives. None of us got bored with the diving....there's something for everyone to love!

This trip was a little less expensive than our Cozumel trip last October when we rented a condo at the El Cantil and went diving with Aldora. I'd have to dig back in my records for a couple other places like St. Croix and Bonaire to see the difference in price.

That would be good news! From what I've gathered on the forum, St. Lucia has a rep. as being a rather expensive dive destination, often with mention of Anse Chastanet, which I don't believe is cheap (nor is Sandals!). I've never done VRBO, AirBnB or a condo.; mainly hotels and dive resorts.

I've been twice on cruise stops; 1st time ('06 on honeymoon), we did a rainforest hike to a (rather cold!) natural waterfall with a pool. Lush and beautiful rainforest, without worrying about dangerous wildlife (though it'd have been easy to turn an ankle on moist stones on the path). The 2nd time, I dove Superman's Flight and Fairy Land, and got a look at the Pitons. Enjoyed it.

Richard.

IslandDream: Would like to 'pick your brain' and see if my mostly 2nd hand-based perceptions on some issues are accurate.

Considering St. Lucia as a dive destination; I've inferred 3 perceived 'barriers' to picking it (from my viewpoint) base on other's reports and online researching.

1.) Rather expensive airfare for me. Close to Bonaire-level expensive, and Bonaire's got cheap shore diving.
2.) Rather expensive housing - or maybe not! I checked Trip Advisor for a week in July; glad to see some budget-priced, well-rated places, though I don't know how convenient they are for getting to the diving.
3.) Mostly 2 dives/day and done. Dive St. Lucia's dive package rates look decently competitive (~ $500 for 10 dives with marine park fee?), + $110 if you want rental gear (assuming a 5-day package). I don't see night dives or afternoon trips mentioned. Especially if I went somewhere with an expensive total cost, I'd want to bang out some dives!

How one might approach the expense issue:

1.) Find out if I needed a vehicle. With family, I need a full-size SUV for all the luggage. If I didn't need one at St. Lucia, that'd save hundreds. Solo, it's me, 2 checked bags, a backpack & a carry-on.
2.) Book a cheaper hotel from Trip Advisor; not Anse Chastanet or Sandals.
3.) Check a competitor's website; Scuba Steve's Diving (which I dove with) has a page listing nearby offerings they had good feedback from, and offer free pickup/drop-off from/to. If I wanted to dive with Dive St. Lucia, I'd e-mail and ask if they offer the same.
4.) Recommended non-diving excursion with links to reputable providers would be good, especially if most afternoons are going to be 'free.'
I don't know whether the dive op.s are happy with business volume or hoping to grow; if the latter, I'd suggest the op. at least list some recommended budget hotels/resorts with info. on proximity, ideally package deals (like Rainbow Reef Dive Center in Key Largo, FL).

I like 'turn key' offerings (albeit with customization offerings) that can quickly yield a trip plan and estimated cost. If people had a St. Lucia equivalent of Buddy Dive Resort (Bonaire), Hotel Cozumel or Scuba Club Cozumel, Anthony's Key or CocoView Resort in Roatan, a widely recognized, reputable, clean/functional/not-luxury-priced, it might help get the ball rolling.

We enjoy cooking our meals and sitting around together after dinner looking at downloaded pictures/videos from the days dives, comparing dive notes, and reliving great memories from the day. There were no grocery stores or restaurants close to where our condo was located, so doing our own thing worked out great.

Wonder how expensive the restaurants are? It's been suggested when on Grand Cayman cook some meals to cut costs; is that a 'thing' with St. Lucia? What else did you guys do free afternoons? Rainforest hikes, other tours, etc...?

Richard.

drrich2 your "madness" continues :)

Thanks for the report. It sounds like you had a great time. I've been to St. Lucia a couple times several years ago on the old Windjammer Barefoot Cruises. I didn't get a chance to dive, but found the island to be beautiful. I would love to try diving there sometime and the way you guys did it sounds right up our alley. Thanks again. :)

I am by no means a super experienced diver lol. We did stay at Sandals end of Feb into March. The reefs were immaculate!!! I was told by a few of the DM’s I dove with it has been blown out this year . When we were there viz was in the 50 ft range, which to me is great but I guess that’s bad by their standards.

IslandDream: Would like to 'pick your brain' and see if my mostly 2nd hand-based perceptions on some issues are accurate.

Considering St. Lucia as a dive destination; I've inferred 3 perceived 'barriers' to picking it (from my viewpoint) base on other's reports and online researching.

1.) Rather expensive airfare for me. Close to Bonaire-level expensive, and Bonaire's got cheap shore diving.
2.) Rather expensive housing - or maybe not! I checked Trip Advisor for a week in July; glad to see some budget-priced, well-rated places, though I don't know how convenient they are for getting to the diving.
3.) Mostly 2 dives/day and done. Dive St. Lucia's dive package rates look decently competitive (~ $500 for 10 dives with marine park fee?), + $110 if you want rental gear (assuming a 5-day package). I don't see night dives or afternoon trips mentioned. Especially if I went somewhere with an expensive total cost, I'd want to bang out some dives!

How one might approach the expense issue:

1.) Find out if I needed a vehicle. With family, I need a full-size SUV for all the luggage. If I didn't need one at St. Lucia, that'd save hundreds. Solo, it's me, 2 checked bags, a backpack & a carry-on.
2.) Book a cheaper hotel from Trip Advisor; not Anse Chastanet or Sandals.
3.) Check a competitor's website; Scuba Steve's Diving (which I dove with) has a page listing nearby offerings they had good feedback from, and offer free pickup/drop-off from/to. If I wanted to dive with Dive St. Lucia, I'd e-mail and ask if they offer the same.
4.) Recommended non-diving excursion with links to reputable providers would be good, especially if most afternoons are going to be 'free.'
I don't know whether the dive op.s are happy with business volume or hoping to grow; if the latter, I'd suggest the op. at least list some recommended budget hotels/resorts with info. on proximity, ideally package deals (like Rainbow Reef Dive Center in Key Largo, FL).

I like 'turn key' offerings (albeit with customization offerings) that can quickly yield a trip plan and estimated cost. If people had a St. Lucia equivalent of Buddy Dive Resort (Bonaire), Hotel Cozumel or Scuba Club Cozumel, Anthony's Key or CocoView Resort in Roatan, a widely recognized, reputable, clean/functional/not-luxury-priced, it might help get the ball rolling.

Wonder how expensive the restaurants are? It's been suggested when on Grand Cayman cook some meals to cut costs; is that a 'thing' with St. Lucia? What else did you guys do free afternoons? Rainforest hikes, other tours, etc...?

Richard.

Hi Richard:
There are some lovely high priced places to stay on St. Lucia with Anse Chastanet being one of the most expensive. Our group prefers to spend the money on getting to a great destination and diving and not staying at a luxury resort. None of us have kids at home any longer so staying at a place that caters to children isn't necessary. I've been booking places on VRBO and HomeAway for several years now. I provide my group with a pick of four or five condos/houses/townhouses and complete a spreadsheet for the cost of the trip including housing, diving, transportation, tips, food, miscellaneous, etc. As a group we decide which place will best meet our needs. I love doing the research and have time to do a thorough job since I'm retired :)

I know there are all-inclusives on St. Lucia, but as you know, they don't include diving. We tend to shy away from them (except when we go on a ScubaBoard Surge). I can't remember the name of the all-inclusive that wasn't too far from our villa. People who were on the van that took us to/from the dive shop said the food was really bad. That seems to be a problem with all-inclusives. I believe if you call Dive St. Lucia, they would be able to recommend reasonable places to stay.

Restaurants are expensive in St. Lucia, however, there are small local places that are more reasonably priced according to the locals. We tried dinner at one local place and it was OK but not great. If I remember correctly, my fish, rice, and beans was around $20.

Dive St. Lucia only does morning dives. I believe if enough people wanted to do afternoon diving, they'd accommodate them. We were picked up every morning around 8:30 am and returned to our villa around 3:30 pm. Since we didn't have a car, we stayed in and relaxed, cooked, had cocktails, and relived our dives through videos and photos. None of us had any desire to go anywhere after getting back to the condo. It was great to be able to clean the gear we'd bring back everyday, do laundry, and shower. No rushing at all. OK....all of us are older with ages ranging from 57-72 so I guess we're party-poopers :)

On our way to the airport to go home, we left early to go to the street market in Castries. We spent about an hour there browsing through the booths but not buying anything. It was fun, however, to see the local crafts and clothing.

We loved St. Lucia and will definitely go there again!

Sounds good, and thanks for the added info. When I read trip reports, I enjoy them for what they are, but also analyze from the perspective 'Why go there instead of...(Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Bonaire, Curacao, etc...) and 'What more do I need to know to size the place up & plan a trip there?'

I don't recall ever seeing 1st hand the match for St. Lucia's lush rainforest (but I've never been to Saba or Dominica); it is a beautiful place! What had knocked it out of the running for me would be too few dives for a solo 'dive-a-holic' trip, and too expensive airfare for a family trip (I was seeing ~ $900 apiece on an Orbitz check for a week in July; figure $240 round-trip bagged fees with 4 checked bags, 2 adults & a kid, that's nearly 3 grand before housing, food & diving are added, assuming no rental car). About $500 for a 10-tank dive package, $3,500. But if budget housing were good, that might bring cost down to 'doable.' Food for thought; thanks!

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom