Great Exuma Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackrock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am currently anchored off Georgetown, Great Exuma Island (between GEI and Stocking Island). Does anyone know of any dive sites nearby? I have a 17ft rib with a limited range so the closer to my location the better. I would love to go to a place known to be frequented by sharks but will settle for the standard reef thing too. Coordinates would be really helpful but descriptions are fine too.

I know there are several cave systems nearby as well but am hesitant to enter since I am not cave-trained and have no specific knowledge of them. If anyone knows anything about the cave options nearby I would love to hear about it just for the helluvit. Thanks

I dove Exuma last year and there is decent diving around Stocking island and Elizabeth island (next to Stocking). We did not see any sharks on our dives. Anglefish bluehole may be of interest to you. There is a tugboat wreck nearby as well. Thunderball grotto is fairly near but may be considered cave diving. I would research it to see what you can do there. I did not dive this one but it is popular with snorkelers.

The other dives we did were fairly shallow - not bad but not great. We had a trip to Long Island cancelled due to weather but there was a wreck there and we were told we should see sharks.
I do not have coordinates for any of these sites.

I would check out the Dive Exuma website for some site descriptions as well as a trip report I wrote last year which might give you some idea of what to expect.

Dive Sites | Dive Exuma

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bahamas/343141-exuma-trip-report-long.html

Thanks for the response, it's appreciated.

What I was looking for though is actual locations of dive sites around the Stocking Island and Great Exuma Island area. We have our own boat and would be diving by ourselves. We are not looking to pay a dive operation to take us.

Can anyone offer any coordinates or general descriptions of locations of dive sites?

Back
Top Bottom