Great Mala wreck dive with ScubaDrew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The second dive of Thursday's Extended Horizon's Carthaginian charter was Mala Wharf. I had only free dove this site before, in vis that was not as good as we had on this dive. Lahaina Divers was also there with a bunch of rototillers, but they stayed out from under the broken wharf pieces so the only silt was from the aquatic residents and the video / photo divers. :)

Here are my favorite shots from the dive.

P10101482.jpg

A-framed trumpetfish

P10101531.jpg

Friendly frogfish foursome

P10101611.jpg

Resting whitetip reef shark

P10101621.jpg

Whitetip not resting anymore

P1010164.jpg

Cooperative goatfish school

P10101662.jpg

Overhead whitetip viewer​

Early in the dive, Drew and I had an epiphany with a whitetip reef shark in one of the wharf wreck tunnels. He set his video camera down at one end as I took pictures from the other end. After three or four casual looks at both blocked exits, I gave the shark more of a gap and it gladly took advantage of it.

P10101322.jpg

P10101331.jpg

P10101342.jpg

P10101352.jpg

P10101373.jpg

P10101381.jpg

P1010139.jpg

1/4 power on the strobe was too hot on the first two; 1/8 much better on the rest. Didn't notice that one photo at 550 width instead of 500, like nearly every other photo I process for web. :confused: Looking forward to the video Drew shot while laying right next to me, quite a ways away from his rig. :)

Mala can be a great dive site - though I find it to be more of a shore dive, than one from boat - So much life, in such a small area. Plus the structure is just plain FUN :)

Glad you both had a good dive there.

Aloha, Tim

hee hee...Great hiding spot! Thanks Steve!

Wow Steve,
Great day at the Mala. Last time I was there was a day not to be there. Can't wait to dive it with you . the shore dive is equally as good except for the mud and sand near the boat ramp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom