Great Satellite Views

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetHoss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wow, I loaded Google Earth on my computer and just WOW!!! You have to have dsl or broadband, but what a map. I looked and found Becton, Cypress and Meritts Mill on there. Some areas are more clear and some less, but overall, it is a great tool. I did the jetties at PCB and you can zoom right in on them and see underwater structure to a point. This seems to be the same images that you can see on Google Maps, but with a downloadable program that streams the information to your computer while zooming and panning..

I saw my house and could see detail almost to the point of seeing my mailbox. This will work great for Dive Map planning, etc...

FYI,

Hoss the conqueror...:05:

PS, sorry I missed your call Corigan!!!!

Yea, I have Google Earth loaded also. It really is cool! I haven't thought about looking up the dive spots, probably because I haven't been diving long enough to know about them. I think you are gonna find that these maps are old, months or even years It was for my home anyway.

Randy

I like Google Earth also. As for dive site exploration, it's got some great detail of the reefs just offshore of Ft. Lauderdale/Dania/Hollywood, FL. The water's clear and shallow, and you can see lots of detail of the area where I like to shore dive there.

It's funny that you mention the dates on the google aerial photos. The photo of my house shows my 4Runner pulling a U-haul trailer. I rented UHauls twice last year, and only once in the wintertime. (Grass is brown and trees have no leaves in the photo.) Based on that, I know that they did their fly-by between 2/7 and 2/10 of last year. Again, that's just for my house, but it's pretty interesting to be able to narrow it down. Judging from the fact that the parking lots in the nearby business parks are empty and the church parking lots are full, I'd say that they shot my place on a Sunday morning. Neat, what you can determine from reading the details of a photo.

BTW, if you're a geocacher, you can click on Google maps from the site descriptions at www.geocaching.com and get some great clues as to where caches are hidden. I like to print them when I go caching...

Back
Top Bottom