great second session

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MJ

Reaction score
Well my second open water pool session was great!! I think that I'm hooked! I was much more comfortable with everthing. I even cleared a fully flooded mask!! I still had a little trouble equalizing my ears.....but much better than the first session. Is there any skill harder than clearing your mask? And does anyone have any tips on equalizing your ears....maybe something other than holding your nose and blowing against it???

Congrats! It's all down hill now!

Equalizing early and often is the key. One thing to try would be to stretch before you hit the water, and even as you are performing the valsalva. Till your head from side to side, as if you were trying to touch your ear to your shoulder. (Kinda like TNS. Taco Neck Syndrome)Also keep in mind that the more you practice it, the easier it will become.

Hi MJ,

Glad to hear things went well with your second pool session. Keep up the good work

Cheers,

Skills harder than clearing a mask...... Probably so, it really depends on the person though. You'll be required to breath underwater without your mask for a period of time (I believe it's 1 minute), replace your mask and clear it. You'll also be required to swim underwater without your mask. As well as a host of others that may or may not be harder than clearing a mask. Don't worry though, they'll all be 2nd nature by the time your finished with the class. If they aren't or you don't feel comfortable with something, let your instructor know, so the 2 of you can work on it until you are. This isn't race, so take all the time you need.

Rodale's has a really good guide on equalization and techniques at http://www.scubadiving.com/training/medicine/stopearpain/.

..... a successful pool session !

I found mask removal harder than just clearing. But people are different on what they find the hardest! I guess the saying practise makes perfect comes into play.

As for clearing, like Mario said, you just have to start early. I found when I started diving, I couldnt clear after a depth of about 6 metres for my first 2 days of diving, on the 3rd day, I wasnt have any problems and havent since!

Anyway, good luck on your 3rd pool session.

-x-abby-x-

The big thumb to you...
It will take time and you will get comfortable with it.One tip for mask removal is to blow bubbles periodically from your nose and that will stop water going into your nose.
It is a skill needed in case someone kicks off your mask underwater.If you find anything difficult than practise,practise,practise.Good luck with the rest.
Cheers Big Ears,
The one and only,
Gasman.

Back
Top Bottom