Great White Sharks Questions!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v4nity

Contributor
Reaction score
ok, i am sure there is a more appropriate forum for this, but i am going ot post it here since i cant think of anywhere else to post it.

where is the greatest population of great whites?

i ask this, so i can avoid that place. thanks.

I heard it was off the coast of Australia, or Africa, or California. I guess I don't know this one. But I also heard not to worry 'cause they'll go for surfers first anyway. Yikes!!

I'm looking into a trip right now thats being put together by a pro photographer named Mauricio Handler. It leaves from San Diego and goes to Guataluppe island. He claims its the best place in the world to see great whites, hands down. However South Africa is world reknown for a high population of whites. It's apparently the only place in the world where great whites actually leap out of the water to attack surface swimming seals.

You don't need to worry about the sharks. All you have to be able to do is outswim your buddy!

Jcsgt:
You don't need to worry about the sharks. All you have to be able to do is outswim your buddy!

It helps if you cut them before you out swim them.:wink:

By the way I am looking for a new dive buddy, any one interested?:D

Of those hundred or so "killed by sharks" how many are actually dead, already, before being accosted by the shark?

Has anyone seen the intro to the new Cousteau adventures series on PBS? In the intro there are some divers that get pretty darn close to a biggun'.

If you're going to worry about sharks, why not worry about the other species that attack humans too? Whites are NOT responsible for the majority of attacks on humans. They're mean looking and intimidating, but from what I read rarely come into contact with humans. Lots of other stuff in the ocean to be frightened of besides Great Whites, or even sharks for that matter.

Packhorse:
Sharks have to worry about humans more than we have to worry about them.
About 100 million sharks are killed by man kind every year. How many people are killed by sharks every year? Less than 100.
I think its funny when people say that in the ocean sharks are top of the food chain.

100 million? Do you have some documentation? It just sounds like an unbelievable number.

Back
Top Bottom