Greater Tampa Bay Area CHAT/OFF-TOPIC thread, take XVIII

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, but what else is going to take you across Lake Kissimmee at 74mph four inches off the water? :evil: Selling the bass boat just isn't an option (unless it's for a newer faster one). I fish a lot and I often fish "skinny" water. That, and it'd really annoy my buddies if I had *two* boats parked next to the house. :) I took a drive out to look over that 32' Yellowfin yesterday.... Holy crap that's a sweet boat, but the price isn't sweet enough yet.

Cost to top off: $180
Being able to go where you want, when you want, for as long as you want: priceless.

I picked up an over-the-side ladder. We'll see how it goes.

I sold my Nitro bass boat because it just wasnt enough boat to get me to the places I wanted to dive (20+ miles offshore). Now with gas so high, I hire charters. I was spending $180.00 just to top off the tank and that is a lot.
When looking for a ladder, be SURE to see how it will work with YOUR BOAT. My boat hull didnt have any straight sides to mount a ladder too. The only flat place I had was were the outboard was mounted. This made even a hang-over-the-side ladder difficult to use. Your is probably very similar. Good Luck!

Since we are already talking about boats (my favorite subject!)... I'm curious on some more opinions on good boats for doing both fishing and diving, i.e. types, makes, sizes, etc... I've heard both sides of the argument (for and against) for both WA's and CC's but haven't heard much on other types of boats. I've heard people say anything smaller than 21' is too small for diving, I've heard other people claim to dive off much smaller boats... I think the funniest thing I ever heard was from the person who told me there was no such thing as a boat that was good for both diving and fishing. I know a lot of people who declare Bayliner and any associated brands (i.e. Trophy) as nothing short of complete garbage. I know other people (with deep pockets) who claim that buying anything other than a Grady White or a Parker is a waste of cash. I haven't heard a lot of opinions on makes such as Pro Line, Mako, Hydra Sports, etc... I know, I know, you are going to tell me it all depends on my budget. I don't do things that way any more. I learned long ago that basing a purchase solely on what you can afford costs you more in the long run. I want to make up my mind on what I want/need, and then wait until I have the money to actually get what I want/need, even if that means having to delay the purchase for awhile. Of course, the less money I have to spend the better. I just took another look at that money tree I planted in the backyard and it still isn't growing. I think I need to adjust my sprinklers to hit it better and buy some more Miracle-Gro...

Last edited:
Yea, but what else is going to take you across Lake Kissimmee at 74mph four inches off the water? :evil: Selling the bass boat just isn't an option (unless it's for a newer faster one). I fish a lot and I often fish "skinny" water. That, and it'd really annoy my buddies if I had *two* boats parked next to the house. :) I took a drive out to look over that 32' Yellowfin yesterday.... Holy crap that's a sweet boat, but the price isn't sweet enough yet.

Cost to top off: $180
Being able to go where you want, when you want, for as long as you want: priceless.

I picked up an over-the-side ladder. We'll see how it goes.

I was not advocating you selling your boat. I was just mentioning I sold my boat.

Anyone who says "anything less than 21' is too small to dive from" is DUMB. I have seen some ridged inflatable boats that work very well. Super to get into the water and you pop up through a hole in the bottom to get back on.
The best boat I have seen for diving was on ebay a few months ago. It was a Parker "wheel house" boat. It was 32' with dual outboards.I t didnt sell for the starting bid of $40,000. Very nice boat but it was beyond my budget.
A friend has an open fisherman type, center console, fiberglass CAT and that handles very well and he had tank racks all over it. It can handle 8 divers, and is only 28'. If he dies I hope he leaves ME that boat. Very nice. I dont know the make.
The best advice when it comes to boats: You dont need a boat, you just need a buddy that has a boat and wants to go similar places. This is much cheaper than the purchase price and upkeep!
I now own a SeaFox 23' cuddy cabin boat and it can only handle 4 divers.

Anyone who says "anything less than 21' is too small to dive from" is DUMB.

If I thought I had heard enough believable opinions to make up my mind on what to get, I wouldn't be asking for more opinions!

I now own a SeaFox 23' cuddy cabin boat and it can only handle 4 divers.

How do you like your Sea Fox? How do you like the Cuddy aspect? Are you using the cuddy for anything useful or is it turning into an oversized "Junk Drawer" as I've heard some former Cuddy owners tell me their's did?

Thanks man!

If I thought I had heard enough believable opinions to make up my mind on what to get, I wouldn't be asking for more opinions!

How do you like your Sea Fox? How do you like the Cuddy aspect? Are you using the cuddy for anything useful or is it turning into an oversized "Junk Drawer" as I've heard some former Cuddy owners tell me their's did?

Thanks man!

I like my boat but the cabin is almost never used for passengers. It is a good place to get out of a storm and for using the bathroom. Storing exta tanks, life vests, and dry clothes, nav charts, and tools are other uses. It is also a great place to store those large dive bags. I ripped out the "sink" because it was too small to do anything with and that gave a little more space. I have never slept on the boat but with the cabin this is an option.
Overall it is a good boat but I wish the 'sole' was a little bigger to handle more than 4 divers onboard. My boat has a recessed transom with a built in fish box so this takes valuable deck space. (I dont hook and line fish, I shoot my dinner) The method of entry I use is the backward roll, although a friend does a giant stride off the back. The Seafox has a small footprint in the water which makes it fast with a smaller motor (I have a 150 that runs about 32MPH on flat seas) but this also makes it bouncy on the waves.
Ill take you out on it sometime and you can see what you like and dislike. As soon as I got it I was telling Robin I need a bigger boat!:D:D:D

I have a 20' bow rider that I have set up to hold two to three divers. It does just fine. I have had it out in 5 to 7's and that is scary but it held up. I will eventually go with a 26' or bigger but this one is fine for what I do with it. The only problem with a boat is no matter what type you buy it is a money pit. Boat stands for BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND!!!!! They are a lot of maintenance and upkeep but one good day on the water and its all worth it. If you buy one be prepared for some high mechanic bills or greasy hands.

If you buy one be prepared for some high mechanic bills or greasy hands.

I can fix my own breakfast and that is about all I can fix... I've already thought of that. I have an awesome auto mechanic who is incredibly dependable, honest, and reasonably priced. I need to find the same in a marine mechanic before I take the plunge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom