Greater Tampa Bay Area CHAT/OFF-TOPIC thread, take XVIII

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I started a thread before i went on vacation about how to best maximize my air consumption and I read a few books and applied physics. After a 30 minute shallow dive, with the max depth at about 30' with the average at about 20', i would come up with between 1800-2000 left in my tank. That is why the dives in Jamaica were a little dissapointing. And all of your tips and advice worked great.

The resort I went too did two dives daily. One advanced and one not-so-advanced. They were very cautious as to who they would let dive the advanced dive 90'-100'. They didnt want to see just a cert card, they wanted to check log books, AND a mandatory check out dive first, even for instructors with 30 year old c-cards!

I was able to convince them this was not needed in my case. (luckly for me because me log was a little behind).

I have AWESOME diving right here, so I didnt mind have less-than awesome dives there. I was just enjoying the 80 degree water in December and the sun and hospitality of Jamaica for Christmas!

Just thought I would introduce myself somewhat, have been lurking on here for about a month now, made a few posts for some much needed info, for which I am gratefull. Still new to diving, just certified on Oct 18th. I had always wanted to get certified but kept putting it off, my vacation was the main reason why I finally did it. Went to Jamaica, ( I know, not the best diving) to stay at one of the Beaches resorts and diving was included, so to take advantage of the FREE, I got certified. Was able to do ten dives while I was there, deepest to 72 feet according to my computer, just for a sec though. I have the warning set to go off at 70 since I am still new and the wife wants to stay above 60 for now. Hope to get to meet all of you, but due to my work schedule I can not go to m/g's. I am a bailbondsman and work weekends, 12 hour shifts on sat sun, it sucks. But, I am off on Mon and tues if anybody else can dive during the week.

Welcome to the board. Often I'm free on Monday and Tuesday's, so maybe we can get together and dive some. :palmtree: Bob

The forecast will start to get better Saturday...Northeast winds around 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Slight chance of sprinkles.

If it gets a little better, I will be off to the sea!

Artificial reefs created by sinking ships is a mystery to me. What is the point in spending millions to strip a vessel of anything worth seeing and sinking it in areas where the average open water diver can't access the full depth? It's understandable that any and all toxic materials should be removed before sinking,however all that remains is a rusting hulk of metal that may or may not be upright. Yes ,its true that micro organisms attach to the rusting pile and in time attracts large numbers of fish and corals. I will agree that it also creates an economical windfall. Eventually this rusting scrap pile ceases to be, and becomes nothing more than fine grains of iron oxide and the reef is no more. The monetary investment of ship sinking would be better served by paying for the complete dismantel and recycle of all metals and usable parts of a vessel. These funds could then be used to pay for the collection,transportation and placing of reef material that would last for many
generations. The amount of bridges,buildings and even non toxic items such as clay or
brick would create a much more stable and sustainable reef. Don't get me wrong, i have nothing aginst diving a REAL ship wreck, one lost to war,storms,running aground or a host of different reasons for sinking. These ships usually have historical and visual value and are a huge attraction to divers becuse they contain all original equipment. Everyone in the dive industry would love to see the sport grow, most people are happy to see our oceans thrive with aquatic species and fish. The gulf coast of florida fish populations would most likely triple in a short time with artifical reefs made of concrete type rubble placed closer inshore out of any shipping or recreational boating lanes where the average open water recreational diver could eaisly access. Reefs restricted to diving,spearing and fishing would rid the three activities of conflict and be an economical boost to the gulf coast.
You want the recreation diving sport to grow and remain vaible ? Try putting something
out there the average person will bother to become a diver for. The Tampa area has
only 2 ships within the area and depth limits for OW divers,the Blackthorn being the most popular. .Even the Blackthorn to bottom is beyond the 60ft limit. It also is open to fishing hunting and diving. How many times have local divers been out there and they are the only people diving on it ? It makes more sense to me to create a rubble pile 2 or more miles off shore 10 ft or more in height than to sink a 100 ft high rusting scrap pile in 150 to 200 feet of non accessable water to the air only OW diver. People lose interst in diving when they are forced to drive to the keys at a great expense of money and time,simply to enjoy a shallow reef dive. I started diving in 1972 on the west coast in the cold pacific and could view more sea life in 15 to 50 ft of water than i have yet to see on the gulf coast of Florida. I still am an OW diver and have no desire to change that status. So as things are here in the Tampa gulf area, my dive trips will involve driving 6 hours when im only 8 minutes from the gulf now.Believe it or not alot of us are quite content to stay submerged for well over an hour on a reef as oposed to hanging on an anchor line for 20 minutes after an 18 minute dive to depth. I know thats a bit of a stretch,but hopefully you get my point.

We do have a few more dives besides The BlackThorne. Such as: The Sheridan, The Seafood Barge, The Betty Rose, Gunsmoke, Orange Tug, The South Jack Wreck (identified as teh Nohab), and The Fin Barge. Those are just a few off of the top of my head. Oh there is also the tanks - several of those around. If you look a lilttle more you will find several areas where rubble from the Clearwater Bridge was dumped to start the making of a reef. Lots of rubble and culverts.

Viz isn't always grand here that is for sure (you will definitely get use to low viz diving if you want to dive a lot) but we do have some very nice diving. Not having viz close in shore often is more the doing of mother nature than it is not having a dive site. For me, every year the reefs are getting better and better around here. Seems every year we have something new/come back to the area. This year the big one for me was the Spotted Eagle Rays. A couple of years ago it was the Florida Regal Sea Goddess.

Check into the diving around here a little more. I think you may be quite impressed. Grab a charter with Tanks-A-Lot and have them show you around. You will find they are often doing dives within the OW limit. :) I've also listed a few other captains in my sig line... Feel free to check them out.

Gawd, I grew up in California. and I have some knowledge of what that diving is about. Man all you have to do is go out in a bathing suit in 89F water here and see all that is around you from bait schools, game fish, sponges, hard and soft corals to know that you are indeed in a very prime diving area. California Kelp diving etc is great but damn cold. I wont knock any diving because I love it all, but please dont knock the gulf till you get to know her. We enjoy one of the top spearing places in he US because of the abundance of game fish. I love diving our wrecks and seeing tropicals such as Large queen and grey angelfish. We are in our temperature downside now, but just wait till you dive our hottub next summer. Im happily sold. My buddies and I dive several dives a weekend day during the warmer months. We spend our surface intervals fishing for grouper, snapper, kingfish, etc., etc. It is such an enjoyable day that we set sail in the wee hours and are rarely getting to shore before dark. Let me tell you that the Gulf has some unreal sunsets to put the final icing on outrageously fun days. As Missy said we do have alot more wrecks in shalower water than you cared to mention. Try the Tramp Steamer a time or two. It is a favorite of mine. Also when in Rome do as the Romans. The diving is easy here and as long as you are a seasoned openwater diver alot of the wreck dives such as the Sheridan etc., are not far from the basic openwater depths, and I never felt at all uncomfortable diving them with basic OW certification. Keep in mind I would certainly not suggest them to a new Open water Cert., but for a seasoned diver they are very accessable and alot to see. Try Tanks-a-lot out for some diving. They are wonderful people and I am sure you will be pleased. I went with them to dive some ledges and to dive the airplane barges. All of which were in under 60 ft or water.
Safe and happy diving.
Cheers,
Walt
Cheers. Walt

Artificial reefs created by sinking ships is a mystery to me. What is the point in spending millions to strip a vessel of anything worth seeing and sinking it in areas where the average open water diver can't access the full depth? It's understandable that any and all toxic materials should be removed before sinking,however all that remains is a rusting hulk of metal that may or may not be upright. Yes ,its true that micro organisms attach to the rusting pile and in time attracts large numbers of fish and corals. I will agree that it also creates an economical windfall. Eventually this rusting scrap pile ceases to be, and becomes nothing more than fine grains of iron oxide and the reef is no more. The monetary investment of ship sinking would be better served by paying for the complete dismantel and recycle of all metals and usable parts of a vessel. These funds could then be used to pay for the collection,transportation and placing of reef material that would last for many
generations. The amount of bridges,buildings and even non toxic items such as clay or
brick would create a much more stable and sustainable reef. Don't get me wrong, i have nothing aginst diving a REAL ship wreck, one lost to war,storms,running aground or a host of different reasons for sinking. These ships usually have historical and visual value and are a huge attraction to divers becuse they contain all original equipment. Everyone in the dive industry would love to see the sport grow, most people are happy to see our oceans thrive with aquatic species and fish. The gulf coast of florida fish populations would most likely triple in a short time with artifical reefs made of concrete type rubble placed closer inshore out of any shipping or recreational boating lanes where the average open water recreational diver could eaisly access. Reefs restricted to diving,spearing and fishing would rid the three activities of conflict and be an economical boost to the gulf coast.
You want the recreation diving sport to grow and remain vaible ? Try putting something
out there the average person will bother to become a diver for. The Tampa area has
only 2 ships within the area and depth limits for OW divers,the Blackthorn being the most popular. .Even the Blackthorn to bottom is beyond the 60ft limit. It also is open to fishing hunting and diving. How many times have local divers been out there and they are the only people diving on it ? It makes more sense to me to create a rubble pile 2 or more miles off shore 10 ft or more in height than to sink a 100 ft high rusting scrap pile in 150 to 200 feet of non accessable water to the air only OW diver. People lose interst in diving when they are forced to drive to the keys at a great expense of money and time,simply to enjoy a shallow reef dive. I started diving in 1972 on the west coast in the cold pacific and could view more sea life in 15 to 50 ft of water than i have yet to see on the gulf coast of Florida. I still am an OW diver and have no desire to change that status. So as things are here in the Tampa gulf area, my dive trips will involve driving 6 hours when im only 8 minutes from the gulf now.Believe it or not alot of us are quite content to stay submerged for well over an hour on a reef as oposed to hanging on an anchor line for 20 minutes after an 18 minute dive to depth. I know thats a bit of a stretch,but hopefully you get my point.
Boy, that was a mouth full.:rofl3:

geez...maybe i should have posted in whine and cheese. Thanks for the responses
on the different wrecks to dive. The point of my post is and was I do NOT want to
dive a rusting scrap pile. Im not new to the Tampa area, I've been here over 10 years.
I have in fact dove a few of the suggested locations. Diving beyond my OW limit
is not a problem, I do it quite often. The purpose of my post was to whine about
not having anything inshore that will attract new divers. I have several "secret" spots
with natural rock piles less that 2 miles off shore and are divable and produce many
nice fish for harvest, including grouper,snapper,and a very nice cobia last year.
There has been more than one time i have been anchored at one of my spots
only to watch some cattle boat hauling divers 20 + miles out in an effort to produce
the same fish im spearing in 18 ft of water. Inshore reefs also greatly help with
water clarity, as they act as filters. They also grow more quickly due to more sunlight
penetration on the reef. Bottom line on the post is..to many new divers lose interest
to quickly in this area and the retention of those divers is in a very low percentage.
Its a little difficult to make a run down to the keys after work in the summer when you
need to be back in the cube early the next day. Im done whineing...thanks for the
vent thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom