Greenpeace None Too Happy with Mighty O Sinking...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr speaker I wish to revise and extend my remarks ...Concerning my original post ...considering the value of scrap copper right now ...$3.39/ lb for bare copper scrap. Maybe the cost of stripping the O and disposing the insulation would have been a wash or most probably a profit for a good demo contractor. Ahh the curse of being a government contractor.

I now believe we (the EPA and USN) should contract with an underwater demo contractor and remove the wiring from the O ...and I'm not kidding!!!

Folks a side note if you plan on remodeling or building your own home this year ...you better wait. My cost for wire since March of this year has gone up 300% my cost for steel pipe, and plastic pipe has gone up 200% since January and a notice from my vendors tells me the cost for all of the products will continue to increase this year. I do about 2 mil a year in gross revenues as an electrical contractor my costs in material alone is killing me since all of contracts are either with the USN or the California Dept of General Services ...all of which were bid back in the summer and fall of 2005. Hold onto your wallets cause there is enormous inflation in our economy ....

I'm replacing a substaion at MCB Camp Pendleton here in Socal later this summer ... there are close to 350 gal. of PCB contaminated oil in the old transformer and my cost to clean the transformer and dispose the oil at a haz dump site including transportation is about $18,000.00 ....Let me at the Mighty O and I'll send a couple of my guys to AOW/ Master Class and a few tech classes to dive her ....give em a few wire cuttes and a hydraulic shear and have at it....

I agree that we need to be aware of the risks.
However look at scapa flow the resting ground of the German fleet since 1918.
There is problems because very large amounts of oil went down when they scuppered the fleet and these ships are begining to leak due to corrosion. However all the reports I have heard is that sea life abounds there.
The Bikini atoll, another destination where life abounds.

Yes we must be careful however the attitude that we have to prove 100% that no damage can be done before we can do anything puts us in an impossible position.

We have thousands of wrecks from WW2 where the ocean has recovered. Why would this wreck be any different.

victor:
I agree that we need to be aware of the risks.
However look at scapa flow the resting ground of the German fleet since 1918.
There is problems because very large amounts of oil went down when they scuppered the fleet and these ships are begining to leak due to corrosion. However all the reports I have heard is that sea life abounds there.
The Bikini atoll, another destination where life abounds.

Yes we must be careful however the attitude that we have to prove 100% that no damage can be done before we can do anything puts us in an impossible position.

We have thousands of wrecks from WW2 where the ocean has recovered. Why would this wreck be any different.

but...but....but....Greenpeace says......

Wow.. I post one article and 2 hours later 65 posts.. I think that's my personal record!

D-

I, too, am concerned about PCB's and protecting the environment. And I really, really, really want to dive the Oriskany as soon as is humanly possible...

According to the EPA Region 4 website, the Navy estimated it would cost $9 Million to remove the 700 lbs of PCBs (page 5 of the second link below).

That sounds like a lot, but the ship is estimated to bring $11+ Million per year to the local economy.

So, the question is, should the Navy spend the $9 Million to completely eliminate the PCB threat, or should it risk it? And, what should we do with similar ships in the future.

I prefer to err on the side of caution.

http://www.epa.gov/region4/air/lead/PCBWebPage.htm
http://www.epa.gov/region4/air/lead/documents/oriskanyrtc.pdf

RikRaeder:
Why so opposed to Greenpeace? I'd think anyone who enjoys the ocean would support a group that tries to preserve it; even if it's made up of long-haired-granola-eating-Kumbiah-singing-hippy freaks .

There's the big problem. It's NOT made up of hippies... well. maybe hippies with law degrees.

They are against tourism that will increase traffic on their pristine environs.

Any kind of tourism. Any kind of modification that will increase tourism.

I went to Law School, too, but I have a clue. :14:

GP is a political group and this is a political issue. I'm surprised this thread has made it this far.

but it seem's to be slowing down some. Let's see if I can fire it back up a bit
:devil_3: PADI peak bouyancy is better than DIR-F.:D
Now lets get some popcorn.

It's really amazing how short sighted many people can be. So many people worry about "what we're doing to the environment", that they forget what the environment does to it's self. Prior to vast human migration, how many millions of acres of forest do you think burned from natural causes every year. I guarantee it was more than it is today. Crude oil used to seep out of the ground and wash down rivers every day of the year before we started pumping it out. How do you think people first discovered it? Every volvanic eruption emits more smoke, dust, toxins and ozone depleting gases than human kind does in a decade.

I'm all for the cleanest planet I can possibly enjoy, and am happy with the current and future mandated clean air and water regulations. My current planet is much better than it was at the start of the industrial revolution.

So next time GP or anybody starts screaming that we are killing the planet, step back and ask if that "thing" is worse than what nature does to it's self when left alone.

FD

Back
Top Bottom