Greetings fellow bubble-blowers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

augie

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just found this board - it looks like a great place.

By way of introduction I'm augie (real name is Steve) from Melbourne, FL.

I've been OW certified since 1985, but never dove regularly until my wife took the plunge 10 years later. I tool the AOW course with her as a refresher, and haven't looked back. I got my Rescue Diver card three years ago, and swear that if I ever get enough of that elusive "free time" I'll go for Divemaster.

I love diving in the Caribbean, although at this time I've mostly only been there on cruises.

My favorite "local" dive is Boynton Beach, although since it's two hours south of here, calling it local is a bit of a stretch. I do some lobster and fish hunting closer to home, but it's not an obsession of mine, and my favorite buddy, my wife, doesn't really get into that.

We have two boys, ages almost 12 and 10, and they're chomping at the bit to get certified, especially the older one, but I'm still hesitant - I think they should become excellent snorklers and swimmers first (although they're almost there already - I guess I'll need to come up with another stall!).

Sorry for the rambling first post - talk to you later.

Steve,

I lived in Melbourne for 23 years and moved to Williamsburg last year because of a job change. I still miss Melbourne. Mostly I miss my kids, who are still there, and the diving being very close. Take care and dive safe.

Welcome to the board, augie!

I think you'll find the FL Conch Diver's section to be pretty active lately; you're always welcome to come on down and join us!

What's the diving like up in Melbourne? Is there a lot of reef? I haven't dived anywhere but here in the South FL area, and am just beginning to wonder what it's like elsewhere.... (Not that I feel it's lacking here, just getting adventurous!)

Hope to see you around the board!

I'm relatively new to the forum myself, augie. I lurked for a while and the tone of the folks who post here seems quit freindly and helpful.

Glad to see your best friend/spouse is interested in diving. Mine is the one that really got me to take the plunge...as it were. It helps.

KYDan

Thanks for the welcome Dennis and Krista!

I have been lurking on the Conch Diver's section of the board - I'll probably become a regular there.

Diving up this way is nothing to write home about. No coral, but there are some rock ledges where you can find bugs from time to time. Also, the gulfstream is much further offshore than it is down south, so the vis isn't usually as good.

I still dive here occasionally, just "because", but I prefer driving down to your neck of the woods.

See ya underwater!

first let me welcome you!! take the time to learn and enjoy each others company, at times some of the discussions can get pretty heat as with any sport, but just keep going you will learn a great deal and enjoy meeting other divers as others stated we have several dive groups and on from fla too .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom