Greetings from Lovely, landlocked Guelph, Ontario!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbrians

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi, all.
An old guy here with a cert dating back to 1969 saying hello!
I seem to be rediscovering an interest in diving and thought I'd hang out here for a while and absorb information.

I have most of my equipment which was very good in its day but it certainly has no "bling" factor to it like the new stuff I see. As an example, my tanks are stell 72's and my regulator is an old Balanced Healthways. They work fine and gaskets, etc. are still in good condition. Last service on them was about 10 years ago and then they were packed away. At one point, I visited a new (long since gone) LDS to see about group dives with them and was told since my equipment was more than 5 years old then, they wouldn't let me dive with them. Is this normal? I still see double hose regulators in use!
All information welcome!

Welcome to the board.

Not much has changed since 1969, well... except we now have single hose regulators, Depth Gages and Submersible Air Pressure Gages, dive tables and computers and store bought wet suits and dry suits. But other than that it is still the same, except the visibility is not as good, and less fish, and more pollution. But other than that it is the same.:D

Amazing how SCUBA has changed since you started. The dive community learned so much from those early pioneers. I wish I had started back then (I was 16 then), just think of all the diving I missed.

I am shocked the LDS would not let you dive with them with gear over 5 years old. That is IMHO not normal. My gear is 7 years old. No wonder the LDS closed. There are people who dive historic double hose rigs for the fun of it. I can understand a LDS saying, hey, when was the last time that gear was serviced, and sign this waiver, but other than that. Dive gear is robust and built to last, which is a problem because once you buy your gear, you are done with major purchases for the next 20 unless you just want the latest bling. Now mind you, I have all gear serviced every year, and would not dive any gear that had been sitting for more than 6 months with out having it gone through by someone who knows what they are looking at to lubricate it and check the o-rings and seals, and see if any rust or spiders have crept in.

Again welcome to the board.

welcome aboard

Back
Top Bottom