Greetings to all and especially to night divers with fluorescence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

horstartur

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Working first with Charles Mazel's nightsea equipment I started in 2007 in the construction of the first HiTec/High Power Underwater-fluorescence torches. I used the first HighPower blue LEDs, which were introduced by OSRAM Opto Semiconductors. Since this time I published many articles about the theory, which can be found as Links on my homepage > https://www.uni-due.de/zoophysiologie/
There you will also find Links to many of my YouTube movies. Besides nice photos during nightdives are scientific condiderations. In addition to Reef Check studies during the day we can monitor big reef areas by large scale scanning with our HighPoer torches, which allow an illumination of corals up till 30 meters. In this way one can check the state of the reef. Healthy corals send fluorescent light (species specific rainbow colors, dead or partial dead corals show a dark blue or even black color. An important point is the possibility to identify tiny recruits (around 1 -10 mm) in larger distance, which is not possible during daylight reedf check. These studies are important in the context of the worldwide threat of corals and their role as an important fish and evertebrate biotop and coat protection. A movie about coral deaseas con be found here >Coral Project Dahab 2012.mov - YouTube and here > CoralDiseasesHiTecFluorescence.mov - YouTube
The beaty of corals under fluorescence can be seen here: Fluorescence during Night Dives - To Be Or Not To Be - YouTube I have also tested the Light&Motion Sola.Nightsea in Marsa Shagra (South Egypt) in September 2013.
I think after 35 years with (microscope) fluorescence and electron microscopy in the laboratory the step to marine fluorescence was not to large.
As molecular biologist (embryologist) I worked on gene regulation during early embryonic development. By the way the embryoic development of all organisms is one of the most critical period also and especially for marine organisms. For our US readers and friends I should mention that I stayed 3 times for up to 7 month each (sabbaticals) in Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Tennesse (operated by the Atomic Energy Commission), at the NIH (Bethesda) and UCLA, LA.
Meanwhile we offer special filters (customer oriented) for underwater strobes, which are prepared for differnt strobes by 3D-printing > iGoScuba The theory behind it can be seen here:http://www.uni-due.de/zoophysiologie/ab.guests/PhosphorLowPDF For further informations you can reach me under my email adress horst.grunz et uni-due.de
I am looking forward to get important informations in this forum Best regards Horst

Howdy and welcome to Scubaboard. :admingreet:

Quite a background there.

Hi DandyDon, thank you for the warm welcome:cool3: Best regards Horst I have now created a new FlipUpUp Visor for night dives with fluorescence. Details can be found on the link on my WEB-page > https://www.uni-due.de/zoophysiologie/ I think this is the most elegant method to use a barrier filter. The filter can be adapter to Octomask, Gomask and AqualungLOOK2.

Horst,

One of the most interesting videos I have viewed on SCUBA board -- and one of the few I have watched to the end.

You are doing remarkable state of the art work which is not only entertaining it is a quantum leap forward in the analyzing of reef condition.

I commend you and look forward to viewing your advancements in the future.

A Question? have you ever used a "Woods Light" to determine necrosis of a reef?

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom