Grey cards, using grey and using white

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmmbelows

Contributor
Reaction score
I always manually color balance with a 'grey' card when shooting video with available light before each individual video segment. I typically get a better color balance when using a white card instead of a grey card, but sometimes in a situation with too much ambient light the camera won't balance using a white card due to it over exposing so I have to revert to the grey card.

Couple of questions, right now I have to carry both a white and a grey card with me, does anyone know of a single card with grey on one side and white on the other? Or if I was to glue the white card to the grey card what type of glue would be fool proof and not separate over time and exposure to salt water?

Other question, do many people prefer grey versus white cards or vice versa? Have you notice a difference in your color balance using one or the other?

I've only used a white card and would think it'd be better to be consistent and stick with one or the other. The only time my camera won't WB from overexposure is using lights and for macro I use AutoWB anyway. I generally save 2 ambient WB presets (shallow/deeper) and switch between them. I almost always end up tweaking them in post anyway.

McNett Aquaseal should work to glue them together.

PADIs white balance card is white on one side and gray on the other

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom